anyone started smoking pot again?

martifer

I developed noticeable mild hppd about a year ago. Not-so-noticible symptoms began about 2-3 years ago. Accompanying these symptoms were short bouts of DP following drug usage. I stopped most of my drug usage, including pot but excluding alcohol, for about 6 months. Now i'm back on the herb and have been puffing away happily for almost a couple months. Whereas 6 months ago weed would trigger anxiety attacks for me, now i get nothing like that even if i get completely fried. I haven't noticed any worsening of symptoms, either.

My symptoms:

Visual Snow - mild-medium (kinda bugs me when it think about it but doesn't get in the way of anything)

Ghosting - happens pretty rarely but it happens

Tracers/trailers/whatever -i see them on passing cars sometimes, and if i wave my hand in front of my face. On the mild side.

None of that affects my life at all. Unless I'm consciously worrying about it getting worse, which does get to me when I'm paranoid.

Symptoms that have gone away:

Morphing. This has completely gone away (haven't touched acid in 2 years, molly in over a year)

DP - haven't had an episode in 6 months

Squigglies in the sky have receded to the point of not being a symptom.

I guess my question is, will it get worse with smoking. Tell me about your experiences.

• Upvote 8

Hmm. I honestly don't know man. I can tell you I have smoked since. I do notice an increase in closed eye visuals, which prior to smoking are non existant. I have smoked 4 or 5 times since onset. Like you my HPPD is relatively mild, a few off days here or there but fully functional none the less. The few times I have smoked I have been fine. No anxiety usually. If I drink, and then smoke which is usually the case because I'm drunk, I find I'm so relaxed that I can smoke without any anxiety at all. However, I would be careful man. My onset was the result of smoking pot. I hadn't done any hallucinogen in about six months, smoked pot and a few days later I had some HPPD. For a long time after smoking spice when I smoked pot I got anxious, and I ignored it. I think that was my very very minor initial hppd symptom. And continuing pot use exacerbated it, and after a panic attack smoking with a friend I had what I have now. Been with it for like 9 months I think. But who knows, maybe your brain sorted all its shit out. Just be careful, I'll say this now since I'm sure you'll hear it. You're lucky. Quit playng with fire. Have a few drinks a week and find something nice to occupy your time.

Hmm. I honestly don't know man. I can tell you I have smoked since. I do notice an increase in closed eye visuals, which prior to smoking are non existant. I have smoked 4 or 5 times since onset. Like you my HPPD is relatively mild, a few off days here or there but fully functional none the less. The few times I have smoked I have been fine. No anxiety usually. If I drink, and then smoke which is usually the case because I'm drunk, I find I'm so relaxed that I can smoke without any anxiety at all. However, I would be careful man. My onset was the result of smoking pot. I hadn't done any hallucinogen in about six months, smoked pot and a few days later I had some HPPD. For a long time after smoking spice when I smoked pot I got anxious, and I ignored it. I think that was my very very minor initial hppd symptom. And continuing pot use exacerbated it, and after a panic attack smoking with a friend I had what I have now. Been with it for like 9 months I think. But who knows, maybe your brain sorted all its shit out. Just be careful, I'll say this now since I'm sure you'll hear it. You're lucky. Quit playng with fire. Have a few drinks a week and find something nice to occupy your time.

So did the panic attack trigger DP for you? or HPPD? or both? and it stuck? My DP episodes started with molly/pot, then after that pot triggered it every time. Now, any time i feel even slightly anxious, i avoid smoking, so when i do, i haven't had problems.

The problem with not smoking is that i gave up alcohol due to worsening addiction issues, so i use pot as my means to relax. I'll be looking out for worsening of hppd symptoms, and ill definitely stop at the first sign of DP.

Been tokin too much though haha.... sometimes every day.... it was just such a relief to start smoking again and find it didn't trigger anxiety. i started with smoking while drunk and figured the alcohol kept the anxiety attacks away, then one day i smoked a little sober, then a little more, before long i was completely fried and pretty relaxed. funny how you go from swearing off a drug, to falling back into it totally hardcore.. I'm cutting this down alot now that my little "honeymoon" period is over.

So did the panic attack trigger DP for you? or HPPD? or both? and it stuck? My DP episodes started with molly/pot, then after that pot triggered it every time. Now, any time i feel even slightly anxious, i avoid smoking, so when i do, i haven't had problems.

The problem with not smoking is that i gave up alcohol due to worsening addiction issues, so i use pot as my means to relax. I'll be looking out for worsening of hppd symptoms, and ill definitely stop at the first sign of DP.

Been tokin too much though haha.... sometimes every day.... it was just such a relief to start smoking again and find it didn't trigger anxiety. i started with smoking while drunk and figured the alcohol kept the anxiety attacks away, then one day i smoked a little sober, then a little more, before long i was completely fried and pretty relaxed. funny how you go from swearing off a drug, to falling back into it totally hardcore.. I'm cutting this down alot now that my little "honeymoon" period is over.

The panic attack was just a panic attack. It initially triggered nothing. However in the following weeks I began to notice minute symptoms of DP/DR. Especially if I drank a lot. Then I would wake up hung over with an insane amount of DP/DR and snow fucking everywhere. Hardcore static and snow. Eventually all that changed. Now I have star-bursting a little tinnitus, some anxiety, and a tiny bit of snow. Among other strange visual occurrences. Some days are better than others, obviously. But cognitively I'm all right, as far as I can tell at least. I attribute the lack of DP/DR symptoms to my cessation of marijuana use, to be honest. Just be careful. Everyone's different. You might be fine to smoke, just take it easy.

did you have Dp all the time or did you just always get it in bouts??

Just in Bouts

The panic attack was just a panic attack. It initially triggered nothing. However in the following weeks I began to notice minute symptoms of DP/DR. Especially if I drank a lot. Then I would wake up hung over with an insane amount of DP/DR and snow fucking everywhere. Hardcore static and snow. Eventually all that changed. Now I have star-bursting a little tinnitus, some anxiety, and a tiny bit of snow. Among other strange visual occurrences. Some days are better than others, obviously. But cognitively I'm all right, as far as I can tell at least. I attribute the lack of DP/DR symptoms to my cessation of marijuana use, to be honest. Just be careful. Everyone's different. You might be fine to smoke, just take it easy.

Thanks man. That makes sense. I've noticed i sometimes get brain fog the day after smoking. Yesterday i had a bad day at work so was already in a bad mood ontop of brain fog (from smoking the night before) and it eerily reminded me of DP. I got pretty anxious about it.

I guess ill take that as a warning sign. Brain fog is no bueno. I figure ill just smoke less frequently.

So is DP not an issue for you anymore?

I developed noticeable mild hppd about a year ago. Not-so-noticible symptoms began about 2-3 years ago. Accompanying these symptoms were short bouts of DP following drug usage. I stopped most of my drug usage, including pot but excluding alcohol, for about 6 months. Now i'm back on the herb and have been puffing away happily for almost a couple months. Whereas 6 months ago weed would trigger anxiety attacks for me, now i get nothing like that even if i get completely fried. I haven't noticed any worsening of symptoms, either.

My symptoms:

Visual Snow - mild-medium (kinda bugs me when it think about it but doesn't get in the way of anything)

Ghosting - happens pretty rarely but it happens

Tracers/trailers/whatever -i see them on passing cars sometimes, and if i wave my hand in front of my face. On the mild side.

None of that affects my life at all. Unless I'm consciously worrying about it getting worse, which does get to me when I'm paranoid.

Symptoms that have gone away:

Morphing. This has completely gone away (haven't touched acid in 2 years, molly in over a year)

DP - haven't had an episode in 6 months

Squigglies in the sky have receded to the point of not being a symptom.

I guess my question is, will it get worse with smoking. Tell me about your experiences.

I can not really tell if my visuals get worse after smoking weed because it actually enhances my vision a bit, but the HPPD is still there obviously just makes things look sharper. I get a bit dissociated from weed and actually hear voices after smoking weed without taking anything else. Its pretty damn weird hearing voices just from smoking weed so I avoid it and if I ever use pot I take a couple benzos since I can get pretty anxious. I completely avoid pot now because I feel it is best to remain sober if I want a good chance for my HPPD to get better. I get that same "brain fog" thing you talk about the next day after a day spent smoking lots of weed.

• 4 weeks later...

I tried smoking pot again many times, and I never got the normal 'high' again. I got derealised and dissociated every time i tried smoking.

So than I decided to never smoke again, i'm pretty sure if you don't stop smoking you're HPPD will not fully cure so..

You have to realise that the nice smoking days are over and instead of smoking you should do something else like sports..

I learned to life with it but i still miss the smoking, but instead I do a lot of sports now and I feel better every day!

I was about to ask the same question. After I got my HPPD from DXM last year, I had DR for about 3 months. After those 3 months it faded away, and 3 months later it was gone (so I had it for a total of 6 months or so). I've completely abstained from smoking weed so far but now I'd like to try again. It's not the HPPD I'm worried about, but rather the possibility of stirring up my DR again. Any suggestions or experiences on how weed might affect my DR?

I tried smoking pot again many times, and I never got the normal 'high' again. I got derealised and dissociated every time i tried smoking.

So than I decided to never smoke again, i'm pretty sure if you don't stop smoking you're HPPD will not fully cure so..

You have to realise that the nice smoking days are over and instead of smoking you should do something else like sports..

I learned to life with it but i still miss the smoking, but instead I do a lot of sports now and I feel better every day!

I drank 3 months after my onset of HPPD, and the entire experience of being inebriated was totally normal. However, it slowly began to become odder and odder (this is correlated with a decrease in the quality of sleep I got). Now alcohol simply makes my vision super disorienting and makes me feel dumber. In addition, hydrocodone had no effect on me other than muffling my hearing and giving me tinnitus Point is that I can definitely see how drugs might affect one differently after HPPD/DR. On the other hand, Ritalin affected me the same as before.

Ive been smoking pretty regularly in the past 6 or 7 months too. Multiple times a week lately. I have noticed an increase in symptoms lately, but im not sure if thats also because of other drug use (opiates, alcohol, speed, rebound visual increase after benzos are out of my system). Planning on quitting again in about a week when my spring break is over haha. Opiates and benzos only ever make my visuals better though, so ill probably continue wih the infrequent use of those. Also, i cant smoke more than a bowl of good pot without the assistance of alcohol or benzos to neutralize the anxiety. My visuals just stopped bothering me though, so i usually enjoy myself.

• 2 years later...

man i hate to ask this but isnt it possible to start smoking pot after hppd without taking any additional medication, a fucking relapse, anxiety or any other problems?

because that means hppd is actually a neurological problem right?

im researching about hppd...i want to end the suffering..but so far i have only little success curing my own... and i had not only a wide variety of symptoms but also very severe since my onset...now after almost 5 month of fighting, doing the best suppliments, a proper diet, keeping myself away from negative thoughts, perception and also using any kind of state altering substances it went 50- 60% better...but i want it to be completely wiped out...it disrupts my life + i want to smoke again...so lets get it on together..i mean tell me what helped big time and about your ideas

by the way...did you try smoking after only using opiates cs1234?

I've been smoking a little here and there for a couple of years now.  No increase in symptoms.  Sometimes I feel like more CBD heavy strains make me feel better the next day. I only take a couple of tokes on the weekends with a few drinks to lubricate the experience.

I like fresh homegrown or body heavy medical.  The high THC strains not so much.

• 2 weeks later...

just forgeth any drugs guys you dont want a new symptom or worsening or geth backwords in your health status do you want hell again like in the begining find naturel ways to enjoy life be sure there is many ways just search

agreed,

smoking pot worsened my symptoms... i started perceiving inanimate objects as alive ... faces and monsters..... im still traumatized. 

i was so fucked up from that. everything i looked at was alive ...... chairs and shit ... my senior experience speech, i was soooooo depressed and brain dead .....  thinking i was schizophrenic while everyone else was happy and prepared ....... 

i quit smoking pot for like its been about a week and i barely see faces anymore ... i had dinner with my family earlier and didnt hallucinate once! a blessing and im never touching even caffiene again . I looked at my leg earlier in the dark and it had faces on it FFS ... lol... im grateful as fuck that my HPPD seems to be curing itself

i wouldnt reccomend it..... unless u want to be in a full blown acid trip, never being normal again, ......

I had 3 tokes on a joint, on saturday after drinking a bunch of beer.... Really bad decision (when will i learn!)

I started tripping likely crazy and started seeing these huge monsters smiling at me (when the light went on later, it turned out to be garden furniture.

Fuck weed, never again .... until next time i am drunk and some gets passed to me :wacko:

jay, omfg, u just solved everything!!!!!! omg lyk i think theres like some shamanic reason behind all this! we iz seing intew diff dimensions lyk Monsters Inc. 

so deep and profound!!!!!!! 

lol

mycall, im sorry to hear that , 

so were u fully cured of HPPD and then it came back or what ?

BTW i remember smoking pot and i would stare at the static, the static would turn into morphing like i was on a real acid trip and it made it worse ......

it was like i would stare into the static and i could see deeper into the static until it became tripping

i did this at the beach before and i was seeing in frames, like every portion of a second i would see the waves move, instead of fluidly. that was fucking trippy 

One month on now since smoking it, and while the dp/dr's mostly gone, my visuals are similar to the first few years. Massively regretting doing it! I'd almost started to think that I was just getting used to the HPPD, but over time it had definitely improved. I still had mild static and after images when watching TV, but that was mostly it.

The good news is that I know that it gets better with time, and that I just need to put up with it for a while. The whole "poor me" attitude is much worse for symptoms than ignoring it and getting on with life. It's also much easier recovering without the benzos - the withdrawal from them was worse than any symptom I've come across so far.

• 7 months later...

I still smoke cannabis, hence my moniker, haha. I'm psychologically dependent on it, and sadly it's the only thing I derive joy from anymore besides spending time with the fiance, playing with my German Shepherd or going sport shooting. For me personally, it reduces every aspect of my HPPD dramatically, so I'm fortunate, but cognitively it's taken a toll, so I intend on quitting soon.