Trazodone?

WuWei

I just checked my records and i have taken it.

It works pretty well for sleep.... but i had to stop taking it as it gave me hellish restless leg syndrome (something it is supposed to treat!)

Give it a go if you're having problems sleeping... it does work and the antidepressant qualities might help.... I stuck it out for about a month and didn't get any of the anxiety and problems i would get with an SSRI.

Decided not to do the med. I found out: 1) It's a tricyclic antidepressant. 2) It can cause priapism in men (a boner that won't go away). A coworker had an instance where this happened to him after the third night of being on it and his urethra popped.

Pass on that shit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Some interesting points shamelessly copied from wikipedia:

Trazodone acts predominantly as a 5-HT2A receptor antagonist to mediate its therapeutic benefits against anxiety and depression.
Trazodone does not have similar properties to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and is not particularly associated with increased appetite and weight gain.
Moderate 5-HT1A partial agonism (6-fold lower than 5-HT2A) is likely to contribute to trazodone's antidepressant and anxiolytic actions to some extent as well.
Trazodone's potent α1-adrenergic blockade (about threefold lower relative to 5-HT2A) may cause some side effects like orthostatic hypotension and sedation.
Conversely, along with 5-HT2A antagonism, it may underlie its efficacy as a hypnotic. This seems possible as trazodone's antihistamine activity is relatively weak and probably clinically insignificant; hence, it cannot explain trazodone's sleep-inducing/enhancing effects. Trazodone lacks any affinity for the mACh receptors, so does not produce anticholinergic side effects.