hallucinogen psychosis

there seems to be nothing on this board for people who have or had psychosis. Is this sufficiently unrelated enough from hppd to have its own separate support, or should hppdonline reach out to these people too? Would they be interested anyway, or are they too busy dribbling into their straight-jackets?

• Upvote 2

HPPD: "sensory disturbaces"

Psychosis: "loss of contact with reality"

Actually quite different - - - "sufficiently unrelated". No doubt some poor soul suffers both. On the DPSelfHelp forum there are some members with DP and schizophrenia (a popular version of psychosis). As for those "busy dribbling into their straight-jackets", they probably don't use computers (unless they work for the Pentagon).

• Upvote 1

HPPD: "sensory disturbaces"

Perception disturbances might be a better way to look at it.

I couldn't care less about my visual/sensory issues.... It is the dp/dr that is the killer, and is the middle ground between sane and psychotic, imho.

I hear ya jay. It's the single most horrific feeling in the world holding on to your ego/sanity by the skin of your teeth. When I have these dp/dr attacks it's like for 5 seconds I have lost my mind. And that 5 seconds might as well be five years! It's all about inner strength though which I think is ironic cos I see hppd as a weakness of my psyche/brain which has forced me to have inner strength.

yea, it is vicious. Feels like my brain is poisoned.

But you are right, battling it makes us stronger people. It is a shame all the fighting and inner strength just about brings us back to "functioning".

Yet again you won't loose your sanity. I'm gonna quote my mother on this one "As long as you know you're crazy, you aren't", i think it makes sense since crazy and insane people wouldn't think they're mentally unstable.

Take care and stay strong guys

Aye. I have to laugh when I see folk worrying what they're gonna have for dinner that night n stuff lol. Kinda stuff I should be worrying about instead of thinking why does my fork and entire arm look weird when I'm eating it lol. Keeping a sense of humour about things is crucial though. Even in the worst of it. And some perspective I suppose. It is tiring, and it probably is even a bit unfair but it happened. And shit things happen everyday to good people. And good things happen to shit people sometimes lol.

Cheers morbide. I'm all to aware how mental I am (without being psychotic). Sometimes that's the problem. This constant knowledge I'm fucked up. But yeah, your mothers right.

A positive though Is that I see folk doing their thing and I think 'your all just clones of each other' lol. I'm sooo different from yous. Dunno if that's a semi psychotic narcissistic delusion though haha.

I think the whole "if you think you're crazy... You're not" is a bit too black and white.

My friend is severaly bi-polar.... Sure, some of his manic episodes, he doesn't know what he is doing. But he is still severely mentally ill when he is inbetween or on a down and he knows it, understands it and it hurts him mentally and psychically... just like hppd does for us.

There are many, many shades to mental illness.

Theres probably 50 shades of mental illness. (Not as catchy a title as the chicks favourite erotica book but I'd still read it).

Guess your right jay. I think I'm bipolar to a degree. (Don't think I'm Christ though...not yet anyway), but I have massive highs and lows and inbetweens that just need a stressor to start me off or sometimes nothing at all and I can go either way. With that and the hppd it's like what do I worry about first. The bipolar ism I guess is worse because il get drunk and do something very self destructive (got done for two counts of assualt a couple of weekends ago and I can't remember a thing. I think it may have been a reaction to getting heavy handedly treated by a couple of bouncers though so it may not count as much lol...as in assaulting the bouncers while/after being chucked out). It should be on CCTV though so might be an interesting watch. I've only got a couple of very minors on my record though so if this goes through its pretty shit. To be running about at 36 doing this shit gassed or not is ludicrous. So teetotal (again).

I think I'm a bit like gazza.

There's deffo a common element of hppd though I think in that were all probably over analytical and introspective (hence our dalliance with drugs (or most of us). I deffo was these things before I even took drugs at least. And hppd has just multiplied these facets of me and 'locked them in' as it were.

There's deffo a common element of hppd though I think in that were all probably over analytical and introspective (hence our dalliance with drugs (or most of us). I deffo was these things before I even took drugs at least. And hppd has just multiplied these facets of me and 'locked them in' as it were.

Agreed. A very accurate assumption as far as myself goes.

not sure... i don't see him often any more as he lives in Cambridge. He was on lithium when he was first sectioned way back in '95 or '96 .......He was part of our rave crew, so i imagine the drugs played a huge role in his illness.

Yeah. No doubt. But a major stressor could kick a underlying condition like bipolar into gear like a child or a bereavement. (Two ends of the spectrum but they can have just as much effect as each other stresswise). That's a shame though. Least with hppd though, you can live a day to day life, and not have to worry about your manias hurting your loved ones.

Surely times have moved on modd stabaliser ways than lithium? Is lamictal, depakote etc not newer breeds of mood stabaliser.? Throw in an ssri and you've got it under control Cept the most vicious accounts of bipolar.

Guys, we are fucked. Some of us may never be the same. It's a shame because it seems obvious that we are a very bright group of people. I think in general our shared experience pushes us very close. This is unlike many other internet communities.

I don't know what the answer is. But i have had lasting experiences because of what has happened to me from drugs that are almost indistinguishable from psychosis. I hope we all can support each other to get through each day.

Yeah, of course mate. We'll all be up and down (not necessarily at the same time) and the support we can all give each other is paramount. And something that could make all the difference really one time between riding something out or taking a handful of pills. We are fucked, that's for sure.

I'm just trying to eliminate stressors in my life at the moment (not assassination in the case of my ex girlf), just ambivalence and staying away. (Even if it means not seeing my wee girl). She lets me see her for Half an hour every second Sunday....folk in Hollywood who break up would even let their former partners see their chiwawas more than that.

Yeah, I'm not responsible and drink too much and had a bit of trouble with the cops the last year or two but not as if the kid would intuitively know that. Every decent bender I've been on in the last 3 years or so has been because of my ex using my daughter to psychologically beat me about the head and I can't handle emotion. Just because I don't fit into her idea of a perfect life/dad. I've got hppd for chrissake!!! I have my strong points. Empathy, non judgemental, v laid back, etc. but noooo.

So now I've psychologically 'washed my hands' of my ex (and unfortunately my daughter) and I feel better for it allready. And I'm trying to get rid of other potential stressors and hppd worsenors (if that's a word). Just training like a maniac, eating 90% healthy and we'll see what happens.