Could HPPD be hereditary?

myrslingerbult

My issue was not really with what you said but the way you said it; as a statement of fact. Maybe I am 'confused' on the issue but one anecdotal case is not enough for me. I have read the papers of Dr Abraham's and have never come across anything where he states of the condition "this absolutely is passed down", something that would seem pretty important if true and require strong evidence. Perhaps you could direct me to the relevant material?

Sorry myslingerbult to go off on that its a touchy subject and should be. But as I said it was ONLY my experience and hope this does not alter your course of life. I'm sure you are a strong individual and it would not. I felt the need to answer your question as how it is personally connected to mine.

The way I said it? How many times did I say it was my experience????? 2 that's how many how else would it please you sir? My facts are not on paper but with my sister siting in his office her as well suffering with hppd. We talked at length about it running in family's and I think you should go and see him if this is something that lay heavy on you. The hard base facts are you do not know and may know less then I for I'm living with my walking evidence.

I see the point in both of your opinions. If my future children probably will get HPPD, then i really see no point in keep struggeling with this shit. This is an issue that i've been think of a lot, since i can't live a normal life with my HPPD. I will investigate in this. Thank you for sharing your story, EmIly.

Your welcome, I did not have this board or these stimulating conversations when I was making choices but I must say it would not have effected mine. My son is amazing in every way and has an old soul he struggles with things like reading in school and making since of things in the dark and for that my heart breaks for him. We never know what our children will be born with or without we only know that we have a love we want to share with another living soul and I have no doubt that my son is suppose to be here. I would not make a choice on my experience but on the experiences you want out of life and a child can bring more love to your world then I could ever express.

I repeat, saying "Yes this (condition) absolutely is passed down" rather than just a predisposition to it is a very strong statement and requires strong evidence, not just anecdotal. I do not pretend to know, it is you that has made assertions of fact. I feel like I am repeating myself and frankly you are tiring me out.

Your like a tea cluber who only takes what they want from the bible a pic here a pic there. I said in my statement twice that it was in my experience. In the same post. It tires you because you can not fight that fact and I'm not sure why you are trying. Just let it go we beg to differ and that's fine not everyone is going to agree. In MY experience hppd being past down is what I am living. I wish it were not but that's how it's played out in MY life. I don't need a document written to prove what I'm living nor did all the hppders who went to doctors that told them there was no such thing. Have you been diagnosed with hppd? Many here have not been actually diagnosed with hppd it does not mean they do not have it or that it is not real.

I see. I'm aware that talking about your child on here is unsettling to you, but in my general interest to make peoples lives better when I can, I would like to say something in this instance. First, many children are born with over-active imaginations where they can even manifest themselves in the form of "hallucinations", but eventually go away completely upon entry into adolescence or sooner. If this was the case, your child would be fine and you would no longer have to worry. Second, you should watch for signs of and do some research (if you have not already) on Pediatric Schizophrenia, this would be the more likely scenario in a doctors mind. I want to stress this because if the child goes through his/her life led to beleive he/she has HPPD, but infact is a Schizophrenic, then this is unfair to said child because there are medications which can ground a Schizophrenic and allow them to lead normal lives, in which case they would be deprived of.

I've thought about taking him to Dr.A as well but my husband is a physician and thinks its better to just act like nothing is going on not bring extra attention to it. I know how some will feel about that but im just being truthful. I simply have told him I'm here for him if he wants to talk about it and if it gets bad enough I would take him to see someone. I have tried to get him help for the static because sometimes he said its hard to read but the doctor just said it was migraine how many migraines make you see images in the dark with 24/7 static. Idk I guess maybe I was strong in the way I said yes in the past post but I'm very emotional about it. It's hard enough when you go thr something but when it's your child you feel very helpless. It's very hard for me to talk about it as well because its he's story not mine and I fear I might be risking his privacy.

Well i know a lot of people who have seen static and floaters and shit since they were born, and for them it's normal and not disturbing at all. Many tell me that watching the static morph at night is relaxing to them. Of course some do do drugs like LSD, and it doesnt make it worse from what they tell me, nor do they experience DPDR...everyone is different.

• Upvote 3

Thank you for your concerned reply. What's the difference between schizophrenia and the images you see from hppd. It's the knowledge that they do not exist. He has this knowledge he knows it is not real. Can you imagine having hppd and thinking it was schizophrenia many have been diagnosed that vey way and how much more harmful would that be to a child. The stigma alone not to mention the drugs that would follow. I would hope my husband would know if our child was schiaphrenic as well. Think how hard it was for you to get your diagnoses of hppd you know you don't have schizophrenia. I can't tell you how I've prayed this would just go away for him or how guilty I feel knowing my sin could have cost my child a full life. I don't want this to be hppd I can't even bring myself to talk to him about it unless he needs to talk to me. The only reason I bring this up with you guys is so you know it's a possibility. I have asked for help on this board in the past on how to help him with the images in the dark. I don't have this problem so I have not built a skill set on this one. I'm not trying to scare anyone or to be mean or hateful I just felt like I should speak up that's all. You guys are all I have had at times and may be all he will have in the future.

Boorges so your saying that if your born with (we will just say the static and not hppd for arguments sake) it then it does not get worse by meds etc.? This would be valuable info for me because mine is effect by all kinds of stuff meds,sleep,stress it would be nice to be able to give him meds without worry of worsening his condition. He like your friends does not seem to suffer from dp/dr although we have only really talked about it very few times. But his static does bother him and he finds it hard to read this has been hard for him because he is in a very advanced school an the academics are very fast passed. I know everyone is different but any knowledge is never waisted time.

You cannot generalise from your personal experience to make the statement "Yes this absolutely is passed down and yes your children could get this from you without ever touching an illegal drug." There is no evidence that is so. I did discuss this at length with Dylan and share the opinion that a predisposition may possibly be passed on but would almost certainly need the trigger of some illicit substance to be awakened. Telling people that their children could be born with the disorder is groundless scaremongering and you cannot use the caveat of 'personal experience' for making such irresponsible remarks.

Let's face the truth and say that Yes, a predisposition to HPPD can be passed on to your offspring but certainly not in every case of your procreation. And certainly symptoms such as those of HPPD can occur without drug use. I think the symptoms of HPPD need no trigger necessarily to occur. For instance, i was seeing floaters at the age of 5, and back then i wasn't doing any hard drugs.

HPPD is a mental illness, in my opinion, and is merely a label. You can call a stick a stick or un bâton, but it is still that thing that you know that is/was attached to a tree. Mental illness diagnosis is such a gray area and so are the disorders themselves.

Nevertheless, the insufficient definition of HPPD seems to generally require its sufferers to have had used illicit drugs.

But I don't totally agree with that, and i don't agree totally with what the definition of this disorder is, or should be, at the moment.

I'm sure there is a gene that makes people susceptible to this disorder, and maybe this gene makes people susceptible to other disorders as well.

Although floaters commonly occur in those with HPPD I would put them in a different class of symptoms. They are very common and we know what the cause is: detritus in the vitreous humour. This relates solely to the eye. I disagree that it is a mental illness; at least I don't think that is solely what it is. Too little seems to be understood in terms of what causes the disorder and why, and even those that have never taken illicit substances may have had it triggered by consuming seemingly more benign legal drugs.

I understand what you are saying Chris, but....

(yes, eye floaters is a bad example.) But i don't think i need to give any more examples because in my heart i know what i am saying is true.

Perhaps you don't want to look at it as a mental illness per se. Though, i find it necessary to say it is a brain disorder.