Could HPPD be hereditary?

myrslingerbult

Chris-

Eh.....not really.

For one, neither can exist without the other.

Based on virtually every case i have seen on here that, aside from extremely mild visual-only cases, that sufferers are affected to some degree, either directly or indirectly, in their mental and cognitive function.

These are the facts.

[and I don't think we need to break out the book* for insurance purposes btw]

*DSM IV/V

Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders

But, did the visuals symptoms cause the mental ones? I feel they did in my case. As I think you said in a previous topic, a long term altered view of reality is bound to cause "disorienting effects". Maybe one leads irresistibly to the other, but that should not lead one to confuse the original disorder as mental in nature.

Well, you have at least three classifications of things that can influence the psyche, in my opinion:

1. the Psychological

2. the Psychiatric

3. Physical Brain disorder/trauma (i.e.- tumor etc.)

~Certainly, having one or more of your senses distorted can lead to psychological problems.

~Having your cognitive functioning marred can either cause or be caused by 1,2&3.

I see your point is Helen Keller was not crazy.

This is certainly a fuzzy area.

i dont think the wider symptoms are solely caused by being driven to distraction by visuals, tho im sure this can add to the problem. My visuals are not bad at all, but head pressure is quite bad, and vertigo/anxiety and brain fog were quite bad but i have cured them by supplements, suggesting a chemical rather than psychological basis for these symptoms.

the big breakthrough for me was n-acetyl cysteine. After a big dose of this (trying to ward off hangover) i felt so clear and awake the next day (still had a hangover tho!). All my anxiety/vertigo sypmtoms disappeared too. The effects last much longer (days or weeks) than the fairly short amount of time the stuff exists in the system, which may be because of a prolonged increase in glutathione, or because of detoxification of toxins that aggravated those symptoms. NAC also modulates glutamine so the anxiety effects could be from that. I have since experimented with other things and am currently on nac plus vitamin d, magnesium and potassium. However, i have suspended nac use for the moment as i am experimenting with autophagy by intermittent fasting, keto diet, and using trehalose. Nac inhibits autophagy despite having other toxin-clearing effects.

Predisposition for HPPD is hereditary. My mother begen having static, floaters, pareidolias in her childhood. She never used any psychedelic drugs through her whole life, the mild-HPPD symptoms simply appeared out of nowhere. The symptoms never bothered her either.

Then you have me who shoveled in a lot of psychedelics and RC´s and developed severe HPPD. The only visual disturbances I had before was temporary static during my migraine attacks.

So if I didn´t use any psychedelics, there would be a large chance of me never developing HPPD. The latent predisposition would not be triggered.

Predisposition+psychedelics= large risk for getting HPPD

Predisposition+no psychedelics= small risk for getting HPPD-like symptoms

I believe it all to be adrenaline-related...anxiety-based...in other words I believe each of us is likely pumping higher doses of stress hormones (cortisol et al...) or at least were at the time...adrenaline plus psychoactive chemicals can leave you in this condition (which is why I half-jokingly call HPPD a kidney disorder)...I bet our lineage could be drawn back to a certain hypervigilant humanoid (habilus, sapiens, neanderthalis?) watching the heard in the jungle...so, by this logic I would say heredity is likely BUT as mentioned before: only predisposition would be inherited...BUT (again) there are people all over the Visual Snow boards who have acquired static from migraines, getting their eyes dilated, dentist appointments (!!!!) and general stress...If you do have kids, try to encourage calmness.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello to everyone. I'm sure I'm the oldest HPPDer to comment on this subject, 60yo. The genetic idea is a complicated one and I doubt seriously if anyone can say it's absolutely positive that our kids could have hppd w/o a substance. Problems with childrens eyes can have other sources like adhd, nutrition, stress, needing glasses. I can say I was different than my friends who took acid back in the 60s. I had a bad trip almost evertime. I always got further out there than anyone else. For me I believe it was a combination of environment and genetics. My parents did the best they could but for them parenting meant beating ur kids and poor supervision, brutal really. So if I was born with a fragile brain chemistry and raised by mature loving adults maybe I wouldn't have tried drugs and wouldn't have developed HPPD. To make things worse think about the chemical aspect of thinking one of your parents may beat you to death. PTSD has definite permanent effects. Emily, sounds like your boy is great and he has a very loving Mom as well. Sounds like he has a super intellect, too. Over use of our brains can cause some strange things, too. You probably already know all this,but if I can be helpful in any way I will try.

I don't think HPPD is a purely psychological disorder, for one. And two, while some psychiatric disorders may be hereditary, HPPD seems to be reliant on drug use for it to be HPPD. In the end, HPPD/hallucinogens/hallucinogen "burnout" manifests itself as something that influences the physicality of the brain (organic, plasticity, receptor density, trauma, damage, monoamine levels, etc.).

I don't think HPPD is a purely psychological disorder, for one. And two, while some psychiatric disorders may be hereditary, HPPD seems to be reliant on drug use for it to be HPPD. In the end, HPPD/hallucinogens/hallucinogen "burnout" manifests itself as something that influences the physicality of the brain (organic, plasticity, receptor density, trauma, damage, monoamine levels, etc.).

The separation of Psychological and Neurological fields has a clear cut line but in reality it is blurred. In this country, medical schooling for these two fields start out the same. The 'heart' of the psychological field is the DSM (in USA). Look at the codes to see what is included http://en.wikipedia....s_(alphabetical)

Note diagnostic code 292.89 Persisting Perception Disorder which HPPD falls under. Yet there is Tourette's which is neurological, Parkinsonism from anti-psychotics, and other 'cross-overs'

In the end, you got genetics and environment. You can't do anything about genetics. Genetic testing is useful in understanding a weakness that a person already has (i.e. brittle-bone-disease). But it is environment that you can control.