Candida & HPPD

Hi everyone, many will remember me from the old forum I was a reasonably long time contributor there. I hope everyone is well.

What i'm going to talk about to today is two seemingly controversial diagnosis's... HPPD and Candida and how I believe for some people the two may be inextricably linked. I don't want to write a massive post here but I feel I may have to in order to make you see why I have come to this conclusion its like starting all over again on this new forum.... sigh

First a briefish history there maybe things here I haven't mentioned before but in retrospect I feel they are important.

90's) I started to notice a faint visual snow when I looked at the sky I also had an increase in floaters which I remember asking my father about because it was bothering me so much. Around this period I became depressed/distant something that seemed to be a sign of things to come

2000/2001) My Visual Snow cleared up or I forgot about it around the time I was attending college. This was when I started smoking Marijuana quite heavily I was self medicating my anxiety and depression and things were seemingly good. I had a recurrent problem with an ingrown toenail for which I was prescribed Antibiotics... It was after this I started getting heavily depressed and lethargic to the point that I couldn't make it into to college most mornings, I remember one morning my lecturer came to my house to wake me up and take me to college he had threatened to kick me off the course but he admitted to me that he to had battled with depression himself and he was somewhat lenient of my situation.

2001) My lethargy had reached new heights I would sleep all day if I could, My mum became worried and purchased this High strength vitamin C formula (cant remember its name but me and my mates used to call them Energon Cubes laugh.gif yeah we are geeks) it gave me a bit of energy but seemed to cause me bad liver pain I had this problem with all vitamin C formulations.

August 2001 (Judgement Day) I got drunk of my face at a music festival, A friend kept pestering me to do an LSD microdot with him because he didn't want to do it alone I caved and what followed can only be described as pure Hell. The visuals were not the worst part of that trip though it was intense it was the Pain I experienced and the longevity. After the other people had stopped tripping I was still going i had a massive pain in my liver area and my head at this point and I was becoming increasingly distressed I kept coming back up and even when I was down things were not normal and this was to be my life for the foreseeable future where I wore the brunt of HPPD

Things I noticed Post HPPD

Messed up vision/perception (I dont think i need to explain this)

Auditory Hallucinations (I would hear the door bell or phone ringing and sometimes familiar voice speaking

DP/DR

Head Pressure

My urination was completely clear and remained that way for weeks after the trip my liver pain continued to persist my doctor said it was normal for urine to be clear he basically saw me as an anxious hypochondriac as most doctors do he told me to stop worrying.

Increased anxiety

Intense depression

Inflamed itchy scalp (I thought this was stress related)

I imagine I have PTSD as well it was a harrowing experience and the fact it was relentless for years to come made thing worse with time

An increased sensitivity to herbal supplements from MJ to Fish Oil I would hallucinate and have muscle spasms from hell

Adverse response from prescribed meds SSRI's etc

Things That Helped

Alcohol but the next day things would be twice as bad unless I drank again when I drank 3 days in a row things would get so bad that the alcohol didn't provide relief and I would be in for a week of hell to get back to base line.

Clonazepam like the alcohol but without the worsening of symptoms it was a lifesaver but while I was taking it I started noticing new symptoms which I thought were completely unrelated to HPPD. Such as recurring Eye infections for which I was prescribed antibiotics which made my HPPD insane I switched to Fucithalmic acid which did'nt seem to aggravate so much butit didnt help.

Keppra) I was so sure this was the one my vision and DP/DR cleared up significantly but It was not consistent and I stopped taking it when I started developing physical symptoms... joint pains, numbness I was even hospitalised when I woke up one morning and couldn't move my right hand, I was in constant pain when ever I was awake which wasn't that often. I could barely walk most days and I became more and more withdrawn and suicidal this was why I disappeared from the old forum in the midst of my keppra trial I completely lost the plot. I discontinued Keppra and saw no improvement and then came off clonazepam and switched to diazpepam which reduced my symptoms slightly so I concluded it must be the benzos and came of completely... my symptoms did not improve and i had withdrawals thrown into the mix.. eugh

Ok im gonna try an be more concise but this is all relevant blink.gif...

Thrown between many different doctors/consultants the only possibilty was Sjrogrens Syndrome for which I was treated but that made things twice as bad i shit you not.. no else could find anything wrong that could explain my symptoms... bang whallop I no longer have HPPD my Psych changes his diagnosis in a letter that my reg doc showed me out of the blue saying that is is likely I am Hypochondriac and a diagnosis of schizophrenia is more fitting even though my regular doctor had confirmed I had numb patches on my body and I looked like I was the living dead. This was a brick wall no more help from the medical community unless I was willing to take meds and I couldn't pretend to take them they were going to inject apparently once a week... fuck that imagine being stuck on an SSRI for a week even if you wanted to discontinue.

Realised I had to save myself or I was going to end up in a hospital with antipsychotics forced down my throat. I ruled out everything I could and I was left with i'm either crazy or I have Candida (yeah I know i thought it was BS to). There is a wealth of info about Candida online alot of it is bullshit from both sides of the coin.

Candida Treatment

I initially tried Threelac... immense worsening of HPPD and physical symptoms and slept for days I didn't touch it again but a reaction is a reaction. And later I read that as candida dies it releases even more toxins so if you have a severe infection you have to go gradually otherwise you will be in for a world of hurt.

I cut out sugar and most simple carbs/starchy foods including alcohol as its a sugar I often wondered why alcohol made things much worse when benzos did not I believe in my case this is the answer. I did this for a month and to my amazement my physical symptoms started clearing up as well as my fatigue.

Herbal fungicides

After a month of the diet I added grapefruit seed extract... worsening of ALL symptoms HPPD.... everything so I lowered the dose and stuck with it, I started to get hot sensations around my body especially in the left side of my head where my head pressure was but this cleared up as did my head pressure I started to get breaks in my DP/DR this is when everything fell into place and I realised the connection maybe candida toxins were causing my HPPD.

I continued on with new supplements with every new improvement came an even greater low the kind where you lose all hope but I just stuck with it and overtime im seeing INCREDIBLE differences this is my fourth month of fighting candida and my head pressure has barely made an appearance my vision has periods where it is clearer than it ever was on Keppra or Clonazepam it is in these periods that my depression and anxiety completely goes its like waking from a BAD nightmare I made a video the first time it happened cos I wanted a memory of how amazing it was I may post it at some point. I actually believe im going to make a full recovery now its just a matter of time.

My explanation

I had candida which was causing my VS growing up, Cannabis made it worse, Antibiotics made it much worse. LSD made it insane... i don't no why I have read it puts immense pressure on the liver and that candida can go out of control in periods of stress I can't say for sure.

My advice to you is give this a try... If you have HPPD... DP/DR Especially if you are sensitive to supplements which may have detoxing or fungicidal properties or If you believe you got HPPD from marijuana (i have read a study where candida is present in greater number in cannabis smokers) infact many natural practitioners recommend pot smokers take probiotic supplements.

I know this sounds way to good to be true and if I was reading this a couple of years ago I probably wouldn't make it to the end I don't want to spread false hope, Im not selling anything I just want to help and anyway what have you got to lose by trying? there are loads of crap products out there and what works for me may not work for you but if people want more info or help (I feel like an expert on candida now) just ask.

bracing for barrage of insults

Peace smile.gif

PS here is candida it looks strangely like a floater... http://www.doctorfun...img/candida.jpg probably a coincidence but interesting none the less.

Opps just want to make it clear im not saying you have Candida im saying you might and even if its just a chance...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are a couple of links to candida studies ive read more and will try to find them.

Elevation of Candida IgG Antibodies in Patients with Medically Unexplained Symptoms

http://www.encognitive.com/files/Elevation%20of%20Candida%20IgG%20Antibodies%20in%20Patients%20with%20Medically%20Unexplained%20Symptoms.Full%20Text%20Available.pdf

Effect of cannabis use on oral candidal carriage

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2231436

Wow what an incredible journey you have been on.

Personally,

I'm just starting to feel normal and good again and my hppd symptoms are decreasing. I was thinking about smoking pot again but was worries about my symptoms worsening. I smoked after I got hppd and I didn't rlly notice a difference but have given it about a year.

Do you think I could catch Candida from smoking and if I did would that make my hppd worse?

Yeah it is pretty crazy looking back...

You can't catch candida it is everywhere I believe everyone has it in there guts, it when it gets out of balance with friendly flora its starts rampaging and causing problems. My advice to you from a candida standpoint would be if your going to smoke then take a probiotic supplement everyday a proper multistrained supplement like Bio-Kult and if you can't afford that look into probiotic drinks/yoghurts. But from an HPPD standpoint I would reccomend you don't smoke especially without evidence that candida was causing your problems. I feel your pain man ive been dieing to enjoy some mary jane but think hard don't blow your second chance.

Wow what an incredible journey you have been on.

Personally,

I'm just starting to feel normal and good again and my hppd symptoms are decreasing. I was thinking about smoking pot again but was worries about my symptoms worsening. I smoked after I got hppd and I didn't rlly notice a difference but have given it about a year.

Do you think I could catch Candida from smoking and if I did would that make my hppd worse?

Still you could try something like Grape Fruit Seed extract and see if it affects your symptoms... if they worsen from from something like GSE that has no psychoactive ingredients I believe that is a sign that you may have candida... There really isnt enough data for me to say for sure im the only person i know who has treated HPPD with candida protocols though I have read reports of Visual Snow sufferers getting better by attacking candida.

Edit.. More sensible advice cut out sugar for a while and see how you feel, I did get die off symptoms from diet change but it was no where near as bad as when antifungals are in the mix honestly it is worse than benzo withdrawal.

Many people have or have had Candida. It was or is a big deal for people and the diet change went on for many months. I am talking from experience from knowing health concious people who have restricted diets because of Candida.

The counter thought/evidence is for the people who's symptoms gradually or more rapidly go away. With no change of diet that would indicate eliminating Candida.

I was one of those people. It went away with no habit change in health practices or diet etc.

I am one of the people that it then came back. Known to happen as per the docs who know about this from clinical experience. The second time it came back, it has not gone away. This came on suddenly ater too much exertion and then the symptoms increased over time. This started during a hike in 2003. The only other explanation from what Lerner's experience has told him and me, is that I may have got a bug bite during that hike.

The counter thought/evidence is for the people who's symptoms gradually or more rapidly go away. With no change of diet that would indicate eliminating Candida.

Well the body naturally attacks candida hence excessive antibodies found in sufferers, so your body can fight it if your immune system is healthy. I believe some drugs (legal & illegal) and even environmental factors like mold and damp / pollution or even stress can take its toll on the immune system and the adrenals and this is when Candida takes hold but if factors change the situation can reverse quickly I doubt an unaided immune system could defeat a severe infection but it could improve it so your HPPD could go or improve but all the time you were on the edge one step away from it coming back and something as simple as an alcohol binge could push you back over the threshold. I'm not saying you or these others have it but this could be a explanation if you did. All I know is that mine is going by treating for candida as well as numerous other problems, my gums no longer bleed when I brush, my receding hairline is growing back everyone is asking what i did but people just look at me funny when I talk about candida I almost dont want to say anything. There must be other people who have the same as me even if its just a small number of HPPD sufferers.

Hey everyone.. I'm from the old forums as well, went under the name Jackson18 I believe. Was never a huge contributor but i'd chime in occasionally. Really a bummer to see all the information gone as well as the familiar faces. Is what it is I guess.

I registered because this post was something that i've been thinking about for years. I'm fairly certain that I had pretty bad candida. Had tons of symptoms that registered with those of candida plus HPPD. I always wondered if it ever had anything to do with HPPD- but always felt that there's no way.. additionally, I never could convince myself to be strict on the diet- especially because of beer.

Little back ground: I have gilberts syndrome- which means my liver doesn't procer toxins well and i have a high level of bilirubin in my blood.

Full blown HPPD for a year and half. Drinking occasionally, because all the sudden I'm having he worst hangover you could imagine. Expontentially worse if I drink consecutive nights in a row.. Stupid, but kept drinking every now to be social. I read alot about Candida at the time and went on a half ass diet. I'd still ate things I wasn't supposed to and drank occasional but I tried to cut out glueten/carbs/sugars whereever possible. Time goes by hppd and dp/dr fade to a slight background. Still there but manageable..Managing to enjoy life more as well.

3 years go by, But still having really bad hangovers and they're getting worse- diabetic shakes during hangover, gastritis, ulcers come on all the sudden. I go out drinking one night and drink tons cause it was dollar wells.. Next day in class I'm struck with panic attack/hppd attack/ I don't really know but all I know is I saw intensely in frames for many hours. Like see a slow frame rate.. Things calm down over the next few weeks, still there slightly though. It stays at very a slight level for about a year and every time I would drink it ram up like the first time for hours and It was very similar to be so stoned you get shutter vision. The worst vision issue I've ever had. Hppd symptoms I had before were nothing compared to this. About half a year ago I went through a really really rough time, Dad was very ill, girlfriend of 4 year left me and I had a job in customer service just getting yelled at all day. I was so stressed and something happened. That shutter vision- came on and stayed for days and days and barely faded even now. Extreme Dp/Dr as well. I could barely convince myself to get out of bed, but I didn't have a choice. No way my family was going to let me do that. I eventaully quit working there and just focused on school.

Now here I am many months out. I quit drinking completely. and stayed on the candida diet about 95% I would. There was just sometime I couldn't help because of circumstances. But the whole point is alot of the issues I had due to extreme fatigue after eating anything, itchy scalp, other skin issues, brain fog, etc.. seem to be getting better. As well as the Dp/Dr and some HPPD symptoms seems to better than they were 6 months ago.

Vision is still messed up beyond belief but I think because of my liver condition and the amount of liquor i drank that night, I must have physically damaged something. I received an EEG a while back which showed "spreading and reoccuring seizure like activity coming from my occipital lobe." Doctors recommended some anti-seizure drugs but I was hopeful things would fade naturally. It'll be a year in a few months and it's got maybe 10 percent better. So maybe i"ll start the medications soon. Just trying to patient these days.

I do believe that the Candida may be correlated with some of us. Especially those with weak immune systems(i had a low white cell count as well at times), weak livers/kidneys and those who took a lot of antibiotics(about a month before I got HPPD I took a few weeks worth of cipro for a staph infection. Cipro is accounted for tons of problems in people since it's so strong.. perhaps related).

Hope I wasn't too scattered, but I wanted to address this issue as well since I've often speculated. But like Pennyarcade I could really accept that candida was the issue.. You know the candida diet is also closely related to the natural diet that controls seizures in people.. so this could also be a reason it helps..

Well the body naturally attacks candida hence excessive antibodies found in sufferers, so your body can fight it if your immune system is healthy. I believe some drugs (legal & illegal) and even environmental factors like mold and damp / pollution or even stress can take its toll on the immune system and the adrenals and this is when Candida takes hold but if factors change the situation can reverse quickly I doubt an unaided immune system could defeat a severe infection but it could improve it so your HPPD could go or improve but all the time you were on the edge one step away from it coming back and something as simple as an alcohol binge could push you back over the threshold. I'm not saying you or these others have it but this could be a explanation if you did. All I know is that mine is going by treating for candida as well as numerous other problems, my gums no longer bleed when I brush, my receding hairline is growing back everyone is asking what i did but people just look at me funny when I talk about candida I almost dont want to say anything. There must be other people who have the same as me even if its just a small number of HPPD sufferers.

I am glad you are geting better for whatever reason. (Would not mind hearing yout self treatment and progress more in place of theories)

Though I just can not see that explanation as a recovery reason for me and all those that suddenly or quickly got better, like myself, then it get worse from other obvious non ingested food/chimical causes.

I did nothing different. I was hppd free(virtually or maybe completely as sometimes I thought my vision was not perfect but it was due to over observance) for 18 years. I smoked cigarettes before it went away and I smoked for the first 12 of the 18 years of it being gone. I drank as usual. Drinking did not spike or affect anything or bring back any symptom.

What brought it back was pysical strain to my neck from over exertion. It was almost immediate. Then sypmtom worsened and I got more symptoms with time. Lerner had confirmed that the pressure on the neck and he also mentioned eyes can retrigger hppd symptoms. He says it is very complex and there are period of alleviation and recurrance

Also It is almost saying LSD + Candida leads to HPPD. Candida is very common in America if you take a test for it. But over the years those tests have been suspect.

So if many people have candida and keep taking lsd and do not get hppd, then the candida could only play a part role in it if it is real at all.

You are very familiar with the other board, and you have seen some of the most diverse recovery stories. No one explanation for the causee/treatment and also what worked for one did not work for others as we are well aware, for example meds, let alone the personal cures.

Fish oil makes your hppd worse? Ive been takin it like 6 pills daily, you think it's affecting me in adverse ways? And dude I only see ONE squiggly out of, i just realized, my left eye...out of my right I see more like eye liquid in general, but squiggly squiggly (haha) it's strictly out of my left...is this normal for hppd? I guess it's not a bad thing, but since i barely see like hallucinations, i'm thinkin my HPPD might be more of a neurological condition associated with a heavy episode of PCP on laced weed? Would that be the same as HPPD?

Larry I don't believe everyone here has Candida and I certainly couldn't prove it, there were a few people on the old board for instance Merkan and Me had almost identical reactions to everything I seem to remember him having very similar sensitivities to me our Keppra experience was eeeriliy similar compared to some other peoples accounts i seem to recall Momof2 had similar reactions to mundane herbs as well as others I started a thread about it on the old board many others weighed in. In my head I just think if we had the same reactions theres a good possibility we have the same illness and the solution is a pretty healthy one I'd just like some people to try and report back on there progress if any.

Ludwig if you are having problems with your liver, you should get it checked out but if it is candida related I started taking a Bayberry formula this one http://www.thefinchleyclinic.com/shop/bayberry-formula-p-12.html it helps support the liver and negate some of the candida toxins, this was a huge turning point for me it provided huge relief to alot of my symptoms its expensive so if you want the ingredients let me know you could put something similar together yourself. They also do a goldenseal formula which is now my main candida med. You certainly have the signs of candida perhaps its time to go all out, you could be drinking gain in 6 - 9 months even if it doesnt cure your HPPD the benefits are still numerous.

Boogres fish oil was recomended on the old forum on numerous posts so I doubt it makes HPPD worse but a few members literally tripped balls while taking including myself... and now I take it daily as part of my anti-candida regime.

Penny, I revised my post before this was available to me. Please re read above.

Larry I don't believe everyone here has Candida and I certainly couldn't prove it, there were a few people on the old board for instance Merkan and Me had almost identical reactions to everything I seem to remember him having very similar sensitivities to me our Keppra experience was eeeriliy similar compared to some other peoples accounts i seem to recall Momof2 had similar reactions to mundane herbs as well as others I started a thread about it on the old board many others weighed in. In my head I just think if we had the same reactions theres a good possibility we have the same illness and the solution is a pretty healthy one I'd just like some people to try and report back on there progress if any.

Te sensitivity of meds and herbs can be from many causes for different bodies.

I do remeber that Momof2 could not take antibiotics. I know I do not have any problems with them when needed.

Merkan was in very bad shape as we know after the keaton tea, he was hospitalized nut was already a bad case of hppd. He had and has success with keppra and his symptoms have diminished greatly. He combines with klonopine.

This just does not seem to then correlate with Candida or any fungis, virus or bacteria. He is actually doing fine.

As I have said in my last modified post, I would like to here what your approach has been in brief and your changes over time more so than the theory part.

Larry here is my treatment from start to now...

Threelac with no diet change) Unbearable

I cut out sugar aimed to allow myself no more than 20g a day at this point starchy food is a no no, so no white rice or potato. My average meal was fish, sweet potato and veg... chicken, sweet potato, pork and veg you get the idea, really boring but you have to be really strict at the start and I didn't have the energy to cook anything extravagant. I now have a more varied selection of dishes I cook myself fried rice dishes from time to time but with brown rice. Ive reintroduced potato in small quantity so I can eat chips again now which is awesome. I can pretty much eat anything now that doesn't contain sugar. I found a natural sugar replacement called stevia which i use for sweetening drinks and making yummy chocolate brownies.

After a month of the diet I introduced Grapefruit seed extract I believe the product was called citricidal, you put a few drops in liquid and gulp it down gradually increasing your dose. This is alot gentler than threelac but it tastes nasty I found adding it to tea made it more acceptable. The things i noticed while taking this was I started to get Hot Flushes it could be literally freezing but i would be burning up these came and went and were really not nice. I started to get pimply rashes on my chest I believe this is the yeast being pushed out through the sweat glands it started to get quite painful so I watered down the GSE and used it externally on the rashes and they cleared up. At this time any benefits seen from the initial diet were gone the detox is brutal.... I began to get insane anxiety and visuals this carried on for god knows how long I was basically bed bound I very nearly gave up at this point. But one evening almost everything cleared up colours were no longer dull everything looked beautiful like a huge weight had been lifted the VS cleared up greatly to but this only lasted for an evening but it was the moral boost I needed.

I then added a herb called Pau d Arco this to gave me the clear headed normal feeling for a couple of days but then the dieoff symptoms came and I literally could not tolerate it. I stopped the GSE to see if I could tolerate the Pau D Arco by itself but I could not and to top it of I was developing IBS irritable bowel syndrome (look it up) which is horrible I found a product called collostrum which was recommended this cleared up The IBS over a period of about a month this was when I started to notice new hair growth at the front of my scalp this was all very cool but the clear headed HPPD free felling was eluding me I still had really bad DP/DR and the regime was intensifying it I had brain fog so bad I couldnt remember passwords for email and forum accounts. Thats when I stared taking the bayberry formula and the brain fog is none existent now. I was so impressed with it I bought the companies goldenseal formula which is ace. I started taking one pill a day im now on two and working up to 4 or 6. Its getting to the point now where I feel HPPD free alot of the time it comes on like a wave the tinnitus in my left ear goes between insane and almost inaudible (hopefully that will sort itself out) then its the colours i notice really vivid then the static becomes really refined to a point that its not bothersome at all its a really euphoric feeling of being free no worries in the world like the best drug ever. As I continue this is becoming more and more frequent. My biggest problem at the moment is tiredness, extreme chills and the anxiety between the calm. I have recently added a probiotic called Bio-Kult I take one in the morning and one at night im trying to tolerate it twice daily but im not ready yet.

Throughout I have been adding vitamins to help support detox

Vitamin C 2-3000mg daily

Calcium 400mg twice daily

Magnesium Citrate 300mg Daily

Biotin 2000ug Daily

Vitamin D3 1000 iu Daily

B6 150mg daily

Evening primrose oil 2600mg Daily

Flaxseed Oil 4000mg daily (1800mg omega 3) I was taking fish oil before but this was on special

This is expensive but in my view completely worth it. Im sure you don't need all these things but they help and im just pushing things as fast as I can 10 years of this shit has been plenty.

In relation to clonazepam and keppra I believe this is just masking the symptoms but you are right about different people having sensitivities to things... I was all good on clonazepam for a time. Does merkan still have to take both drugs?

I do not understand what masking the symptoms means medically in this case.

For an example, we do know that pain medications can stop or mask the pain but problem will still remain. And if not taken care of may get worse and cause furher problems. This what masking means in medical terms as one example.

For hppd, the actual mechanism is not well understood. Lacking the exact science, medications that act on the probable brain dysfunction are used, and work for some. If it removes the symptoms in hppd patients then it is working as a treatment of the dysfunction, in some way correcting the neurological disorder. It may not be a cure though it can be an actual treatment. Not a mask.

There are medications that lower blood pressure for example but do not cure it. The important thing is blood pressure is back to normal with medication. It is a treatment not a cure. It is not masking but compensating. The actual cause, especially if it is genetic, may not be curable, But if you are back to normal function (readings in this case) then it is an effective treatment.

HPPD, The symptoms are not there, therefore it is an effective treatment if not a cure(would have to see how a person does off the medication after being on it for a certain length of time sucessfully eliminating symptoms)

To me, for hppd, eliminating the symptoms is the goal and is a treatment, not a mask.

Merkan is still fine and has his life back with no significant side effects or none to mention at all as far as I know.. That is the best definition of a cure.

Boogres fish oil was recomended on the old forum on numerous posts so I doubt it makes HPPD worse but a few members literally tripped balls while taking including myself... and now I take it daily as part of my anti-candida regime.

Thats sketchy though, I couldnt keep taking anything that I knew made it worse for some people. What about Valerian Root? Does Anyone have any experience with that? I read that it acts on the benzo receptors, and it certainly curbs my anxiety a bit, but I do feel some pressure in my head not long after taking it...

And dude could you expand on your eerily similar keppra experience?

when I say mask I men the underlying problem is still there but yeah im just saying what you are in a slightly different way... But i don't believe you are cured if you have to take a drug everyday to feel normal, don't get me wrong its great but you still have HPPD.

Boogres if you have no problem with fish oil and you think you are having benefit please don't stop because of what I said. As Larry said we are all different. I believe I had that reaction because it was attacking the candida and the candida replied in kind.

I'm at odds now on this forum I don't want to keep bringing up candida and I wont outside of this post unless someone asks, I know its a sketchy diagnosis and I dont want to bring any more doubt to this condition as its starting to become more credible. I really don't know where i fit in with all this now... am I in a position to advise people if I had something different unsure.gif

As for the keppra you would have to read the chat logs (i dont know if that is possible) but we both described the sensations almost identically we had similar dreams and concerns as our conditions were improving I don't know I just really felt that I was sharing that experience with him, other peoples accounts of keppra were less similar to mine.

The thing is, I honestly couldnt tell you if it's been helping or not...i'd been smoking rather constantly because I felt that if I was seeing shit, at least I wasnt seeing shit sober...it helped me for a while, but the ghosting started worsening and I decided to stop in a rather abrupt manner...

So idk...and id never really heard of candida before, im kinda scared to read up about it because I dont wanna go all hypochondriac and anxious on myself...guess ill just have to wait and see what happens, really considering starting on keppra soon if things keep gettin worse...I can handle my symptoms now because they were always stable, and Id almost be willing to think in decline...but now idk, Ive been losing my train of thought alot lately, but then I look back, I dont really get twitches or head jolts or like searing pain in my eyes and stuff

The thing is, I honestly couldnt tell you if it's been helping or not...i'd been smoking rather constantly because I felt that if I was seeing shit, at least I wasnt seeing shit sober...it helped me for a while, but the ghosting started worsening and I decided to stop in a rather abrupt manner...

So idk...and id never really heard of candida before, im kinda scared to read up about it because I dont wanna go all hypochondriac and anxious on myself...guess ill just have to wait and see what happens, really considering starting on keppra soon if things keep gettin worse...I can handle my symptoms now because they were always stable, and Id almost be willing to think in decline...but now idk, Ive been losing my train of thought alot lately, but then I look back, I dont really get twitches or head jolts or like searing pain in my eyes and stuff

I totally understand, the only reason I went down the candida route is because I had nowhere else to turn, as I was doing the diet I was thinking to myself wtf are you doing this is retarded, the only reason I did do it was because I was desperate all out of ideas. Its hard for me to advise you I don't know your history. If you wrote down everything that happened to you before and after HPPD it might give you some clues you may see some correlations that you missed because in your mind (im guessing) as it was in mine drugs were the be all and end all of your problems.

when I say mask I men the underlying problem is still there but yeah im just saying what you are in a slightly different way... But i don't believe you are cured if you have to take a drug everyday to feel normal, don't get me wrong its great but you still have HPPD.

Penny,

I never said cure, but treatment. A treatment is medically not a mask. In a treatment the symptoms or the actual problems are treated and you are well in way but not cured. But also a treatment is not a mask.

I do not understand what masking the symptoms means medically in this case.

For an example, we do know that pain medications can stop or mask the pain but problem will still remain. And if not taken care of may get worse and cause furher problems. This what masking means in medical terms as one example.

For hppd, the actual mechanism is not well understood. Lacking the exact science, medications that act on the probable brain dysfunction are used, and work for some. If it removes the symptoms in hppd patients then it is working as a treatment of the dysfunction, in some way correcting the neurological disorder. It may not be a cure though it can be an actual treatment. Not a mask.

There are medications that lower blood pressure for example but do not cure it. The important thing is blood pressure is back to normal with medication. It is a treatment not a cure. It is not masking but compensating. The actual cause, especially if it is genetic, may not be curable, But if you are back to normal function (readings in this case) then it is an effective treatment.

HPPD, The symptoms are not there, therefore it is an effective treatment if not a cure(would have to see how a person does off the medication after being on it for a certain length of time sucessfully eliminating symptoms)

To me, for hppd, eliminating the symptoms is the goal and is a treatment, not a mask.

Merkan is still fine and has his life back with no significant side effects or none to mention at all as far as I know.. That is the best definition of a cure.