Fears of getting old

Jay1

I'm at the ripe old age of 35 now.. over the last few years, i've noticed that i'm getting more forgetful and doing things that would probably raise concern in a 60 year old.... eg, my wife asked me to get her a drink... and instead, i went to the toilet and came back... Scarily, not only didn't i remember the drink, when my wife asked... I didn't even remember going to the toilet (i was not drinking or on any meds).

We laughed it off... But this sort of shit is happening more often, putting the sugar in the fridge and the milk in the cupboard.... Shit like that.

I'm trying my best to laugh it off and just ignore it... But i have a nagging feeling that i'm a ticking timebomb of dementia... already.

Part of me wonders what all these med experiments might have done... Keppra, Lamictal, Sinemet, anti-psych meds and god knows what else (wish i'd made a list).

I've put my car keys in the fridge before. Or holding a cup of water and smoking a cigarette, and trying to take a sip out of my cigarette.

I'm sure drinking is the worst of the bunch aside from maybe Sinemet. The main concern with APs would be tardive dyskinesia, permanent EPS.

It's kind of like along the same lines as dyslexia. Dyslexia can be something that you have as a young person. One thing that you have to remember is that we are only 5 minute of no oxygen away from being brain dead. Alcohol also is notorious for causing brain damage, when not used in moderation.

You have to work on keeping your nervous system sharp. Do brain and memory exercises if you can, daily.

• Upvote 6

I can definately relate to this. Not only anxious about getting old, but all this senility. Not remembering how or why I went to the kitchen to take a drink, leaving stuff in places I can´t find them. And of course taking sips from objects which do not contain any liquid.. :wacko:

Doctors probably would name this condition pseudodementia, but brain fog is probably the most fitting diagnosis. Caused by to much interference "activity" in the brain it seems..

But of course it makes you wonder how you´ll be when you´re 60+ years old.. Eating food through a straw, messing the underpants and needing helpers to keep track of your weird doings is what crosses my mind..

I'm more worried about all the meds people end up on and how they will react with hppd. I actually worry alot about this. There are so many meds that make hppd worse I would hate to be 60 and playing a med game and ending up with even worse hppd in my elder years.

Sounds abit like my late teens :D

:lol:

I'm more worried about all the meds people end up on and how they will react with hppd. I actually worry alot about this. There are so many meds that make hppd worse I would hate to be 60 and playing a med game and ending up with even worse hppd in my elder years.

It´s a realistic worry, I have had a couple of meds which have caused lasting problems. Be sure to study side-effects, interactions with other meds and quit in good time if you´re feeling something is wrong. Some meds can do a lot more than worsening HPPD. Be vigilant and you should be able to reduce the risk of lasting problems, and thus worry less.

you may have brain fog caused by other things than hppd, but exaggerated by it. This is just the first google result on brain fog, but gives a list of possible causes: http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/brain_fog.htm

My brain is operating as good as it ever has done. Hppd still there but fog, fatigue and anxiety has been managed away with simple supplements. Without them i imagine i would be experiencing a similar decline with age (am 34). One of my theories about brain fog (or at least one type of brain fog) is that excess activity in some parts of the brain cause a build up of metabolic products that overwhelm the clearance system, causing fog. These products i would guess also increase senescence and even cancer, as they will be full of free radicals.

A lot of sugar-in-the-fridge stuff is caused by misdirected attention - easily done with hppd. Try being more mindful about boring activities.

Automated non drink getting! It's a syndrome in itself. ;) seriously though, I'm EXACTLY the same. Il walk in to a room for something ive decided to get literally 10/20 secs before, and when im there il forget and spend 2 minutes standing trying to remember what i went in for. sometimes i remember , sometimes i dont. I'm shitting it im gonna get full on dementia in my forties.

I'm more worried about all the meds people end up on and how they will react with hppd. I actually worry alot about this. There are so many meds that make hppd worse I would hate to be 60 and playing a med game and ending up with

even worse hppd in my elder years.

Hopefully by the time your 60 we will have a cure for this and a lot of ther stuff unless your 59 lol

I've read that one of the best way to remember something like that is to go back to the room where you had the original idea. If you're sitting in bed, and you want to get a soda, but you forget about the soda when you walk to the kitchen, go back to bed and see if it comes back.

I think about this often... if I'm like this now how's it going to be in 30 years, worrying if at best I'll be some kind of bumbling idiot like Ozzy that needs someone to make sure he doesn't hurt himself...

I can totally relate to the dementia-like stuff. Trying to take a drink out of things without liquid... putting things in the wrong place, etc. Even as far as my brain misinterpreting what's there for a split second (that's the really scary shit). I can honestly say I have a sort of understanding of what it must be like for people that suffer with that. I've been having a lot of these types of issues recently.

I think you're right, Jay. Keeping it low stress and trying to enjoy life is the key. Also not doing things that will further the damage... I've had to take a hard look at my alcohol intake lately (I'm turning 33 next month) and I'm realizing how much of a crutch it's been for me the last 5 or so years. And how shitty I feel when I don't have that release valve (plus for some reason the alcohol seems to help my HPPD the next day... but that's another topic).

plus for some reason the alcohol seems to help my HPPD the next day... but that's another topic.

Wow! That's one of never heard before.... Must be hard to stay off the alcohol. The one thing that stops me being an alco is the killer anxiety when i wake up.

I fucking hate this fucking shit and I know what it's like getting old with HPPD because I'm in my mid 40's and life really sucks 15 years after onset. I can barely hold a job and the constant shift between good days and fuck all days just plain sucks. If I had the courage to kill myself I would. This is no way to live. I remember what being normal is like. Onset was instantaneous as though I blew a fuse. It just isn't fair and all I want is my life back, the old me. I feel virtually imprisoned by this shit. It just ain't right.

You gotta hang in there, man. I feel REALLY bad some days, but I go through some periods where I don't think about it (fewer and farther between lately it seems). I have found acceptance is huge. Life is really hard for a lot of people. Smile and carry on. Do the best you can and don't beat yourself up. Today has been a rough one for me. Feeling pretty sick right now actually, LOL.

• 3 weeks later...

I fucking hate this fucking shit and I know what it's like getting old with HPPD because I'm in my mid 40's and life really sucks 15 years after onset. I can barely hold a job and the constant shift between good days and fuck all days just plain sucks. If I had the courage to kill myself I would. This is no way to live. I remember what being normal is like. Onset was instantaneous as though I blew a fuse. It just isn't fair and all I want is my life back, the old me. I feel virtually imprisoned by this shit. It just ain't right.

How you feeling lately?

Well I can attest for at least a two hour period I came to be 99.9999% normal all thanks to this board and dr. Abraham. I spent most of that time crying tears of joy.

Why don't you go on these meds more regularly? Since you responded well, isn't it worth it? Or is it a matter of getting doctors to prescribe?