Starting Keppra today

Så du börjar också med keppra snart? Jag har ännu inte haft några utbrott.

Ja, min läkare har skickat en remiss till en neurolog angående utskrivning av Keppra. Tydligen så kan inte en psykiater skriva ut det..

Yes, my doctor has sent a remittation to a neurologist regarding perscription of Keppra. Obviously a psychiatrist can´t perscribe it..

Okej. Min psykiater kunde skriva ut det, men de väljer vanligtvis att inte göra det eftersom neurologer känner till keppra bättre och den kan ha besvärliga biverkningar ibland. Jag har dock inte märkt av så mycket mer än yrsel och sömnighet. Hur som helst, lycka till min vän, jag hoppas att keppra gör dig mirakulöst bra!

Okay, my psychiatrist could prescribe it, but they often choose not to becuase neurologists knows keppra better and it can give you some nasty side effects sometimes. I've only noticed dizzyness and sleepiness though. However, good luck to you my friend, i hope keppra makes you miraculously good!

I hope all the english speaking members enjoy their free swedish lesson.

Okej. Min psykiater kunde skriva ut det, men de väljer vanligtvis att inte göra det eftersom neurologer känner till keppra bättre och den kan ha besvärliga biverkningar ibland. Jag har dock inte märkt av så mycket mer än yrsel och sömnighet. Hur som helst, lycka till min vän, jag hoppas att keppra gör dig mirakulöst bra!

Okay, my psychiatrist could prescribe it, but they often choose not to becuase neurologists knows keppra better and it can give you some nasty side effects sometimes. I've only noticed dizzyness and sleepiness though. However, good luck to you my friend, i hope keppra makes you miraculously good!

I hope all the english speaking members enjoy their free swedish lesson.

Tackar! Jag hoppas att Keppra åtminstone delvis kan ge mig mitt liv tillbaks!

Lycka till du med!

Thank you! I hope that Keppra atleast partially can give me my life back!

Good luck to you too!

I also hope all you English speakers have enjoyed your free Swedish lesson.. ;)

Yeah, three days in to my keppra trial I'm getting the same thing. (Only on 500mg a day so far). Tiredness and dizziness like myrslinger. (Slept on and off for 14 hours earlier). Also mood swings a bit. Allthough no anger yet. Mostly just moments of feeling very down interspersed with 'hey, i actually feel pretty good' lol. But I'm prone to those anyway. Think it is quite taxing on my old CNS so far.

Yeah i bumped my dose up to 1500 yesterday ( a week prematurely.) Im experiencing no dizzyness or fatigue, just some of that horrible "dread" feeling. It's not like it wouldn't happen without keppra though. I am experiencing less muscle tension, but that's about it. I expect that a week from now, when i stabilize and the gloom is gone, ill be able to objectively quantify the results of the keppra. I plan on sticking this one out though.

I need a break from Prozac -mg, I've tried a good few different ssris though to no avail. Don't think I've tried celexa or seroquel though. (I got trialed on a lot of shit when I had a breakdown years back). Including citalopram and mirtazipine. What's the diff mechanics wise between Prozac and celaxa (and or/seroquel). Prozac really done a good job on me a year into my hppd, but I've never been able to recreate it since it stopped working as well. Must be something in the mechanics of pzac that worked well, be it a certain serotonin receptor or dopamine. (Dunno if dopamine receptors are involved in pzac mechanics, allthough I read that pzac a not as selective as other ssris). I've never tried any dopamine based meds though.

I've been wanting to try an SSRI for a little bit now. I used to be dead-set against them but after thinkiing about what caused my HPPD (MDMA) and seeing as how MDMA primarily works on the serotonin system then maybe a powerful SSRI like prozac will help rewire something that got crossed.

It did for me. And mdma was a factor in my hppd onset (allthough acid probably too which makes it more confusing...wish i had just the one drug to blame it on), But the stress and constant sleep deprivation from my son being born (which wasn't helped by me drinking and taking benzos in large amounts) caused a massive relapse of my hppd. But that was years after. I was only on 20mg a day of Prozac then.

... seeing as how MDMA primarily works on the serotonin system ...

Would not take that to the bank. Most research has focused on the serotonin aspect (as has been noted with LSD and HPPD ... and just for ha, ha's, note that LSD binds on all "dopamine receptor subtypes", not just serotonin)

MDMA is a substituted amphetamine: http://en.wikipedia....ted_amphetamine

"The stimulating effect of amphetamines is mainly associated with an increased emissions of catecholamines norepinephrine and dopamine."

MDMA is a phenethylamine: http://en.wikipedia..../Phenethylamine

"Phenethylamine, similar to amphetamine in its action, releases norephinephtrine and dopamine. When taken orally, though, it is rapidly metabolized."

"Abnormally low concentrations of endogenous phenethylamine are found in those suffering from attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), whereas abnormally high concentrations have been discovered to have a strong, positive correlation with the incidence of schizophrenia."

It really doesn't hurt to work with docs and try SSRIs among other things. It is how you build a history of medication responses in search of better management - or even a cure. If you have anxiety and a SSRI helps, that is probably a good thing since chronic anxiety is damaging.

• 4 weeks later...

unless it's bothering you you should try to keep taking it...ive heard that sometimes benefits take as long as 6 months to occur. ive been on it 2 months and lemme tell you some days i feel much better than others. Sometimes i wonder whether ive progressed at all. if it's not making you too depressed or irate or anything just stay on it, you really have nothing to lose.