Everyday life.

There's good money to be made from pelagic spearfishing.. out in the deep blue for mahi, ono (wahoo is english name I think), ahi (tuna). But you need a boat for that kind of work. I shore-dive, anywhere from 5ft-40ft of water. Still money to be made but more as a side job sort of thing. Erry now and then coming out of the water someone will spot me and make an offer on a fish, it's good tobacco money. I've taken it to the point before though to where I was living off of fish I caught every day, sleeping on the beach. Did that for 3 months. No rent, cops didn't mess with me, was an unforgettable nature blast. It's really the only way I want to be living my life, exactly like that, but having no one to share it with does damaging things to the mind. Gets lonely and interaction with intrigued passerby's just doesn't cut it. I haven't met anyone yet who would be comfortable living that way unfortunately. But as far as making a living from spearfishing that way, you can absolutely live your life like that here. It's also very rewarding. Catching your own food, lots of coconut trees to harvest (coconuts are very healthy; lots of minerals and good stuff), wild guava and lilikoi to eat, raiding the potato farms and the occasional citrus tree.. You can live off the land and survive if you have the skillset needed to get fish whether there's waves, strong currents, murky water, etc. Though having money is still a part of this lifestyle.. I didn't go completely primitive. I lived in a tent, I smoke cigarettes, and the spear sometimes needs replacement tip or shaft, new bands, etc, magnesium shavings and flint/lighter, and sometimes you really just want a burrito or ice cream, stuff you can't find on a tree. The benefit is that the lifestyle can provide you with these things as well.. selling fish to the passerby's (mostly elderly church-going fish-loving people bought from me). Some popular reef fish you can get not too far from shore can all sell for quite a bit depending on poundage, can make enough money to support that lifestyle. Anyway I got carried away, my bad. But yeah, can definitely make a living from it, just depends on how you want to live. :) I'd love to spearfish in Portugal someday.. I'd be game for anywhere in the world really, would be awesome to travel and spearfish new places. Planes scare the shit outta me though lol

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure exactly what you are saying or if you are addressing me--------ok ....lol....wait .....i think i get what you are saying..........anyway I kinda hate science for whatever reason but i have learned more about it in the last year than i would have at any school.......And it makes me happy if you have discovered even the smallest thing from info i have posted. .....I used to be the type of person who did not want to give anybody ideas/help. But I have realized that a lot of life boils down to money. And it really should not. We only live one life. Sadly we can find ourselves stuck in a world full of politics, greed, unjust laws, evil and despair. It;s sort of like stepping on a bum. Or raking in millions as your children starve. Makes me sick, because in the end it means nothing. ..........Love, feeling good, emotional connections to things and people and nature, good food, water and air: this is all that really matters. ... ..............I don't want to have to pay for air.

• Upvote 1

I haven't met anyone yet who would be comfortable living that way unfortunately. But as far as making a living from spearfishing that way, you can absolutely live your life like that here.

Mate, i'd be all over that.... We lived in a tent when we first moved here.... Just surfing all day, a bit of bread and sardine paté and a box of wine.... Not quite living off the land.... But still a sweet way to live.... about 20 other surfers camping near a lake by the reef, so a bit of a party vibe at night around the campfire....

My wife likes her creature comforts too much nowadays though!

That's awesome man.. wish I could've met people like you and them at the right time. I'm sure there were moments of pure joy. I'm living the way I am now to strengthen to someday go back to that. When it comes down to it, it's what I want and what I feel I have to do, it's the only way my existence makes any sense to me. If you ever take some vacation time to Hawaii and you're still down for the experience, look me up!

Awesome lifestyle choice man. I've spent months traveling the world in hostels, tents, sleeping in my car- anything to save a dollar and make it further. Wish I had done more pure living off the land stuff though. I always wanted to just wonder off for a good while in Alaska or some untainted frontier and go bear grylls style for a while. I Definetly need more hunting-gathering skills though. I feel like humans used to be such hardy creatures and then with all out advancements we have digressed significantly in beig self sufficient. I met someone the other day who said she didn't know how to cook and never has before.. I couldn't fathom that being possible. Such a basic & essential skill.

• 1 month later...

THE world is too much with us; late and soon, Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers: Little we see in Nature that is ours; We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon! The Sea that bares her bosom to the moon; The winds that will be howling at all hours, And are up-gathered now like sleeping flowers; For this, for everything, we are out of tune; It moves us not.--Great God! I'd rather be A Pagan suckled in a creed outworn; So might I, standing on this pleasant lea, Have glimpses that would make me less forlorn; Have sight of Proteus rising from the sea; Or hear old Triton blow his wreathed horn.

(1806)

I´m on disability. I have several diagnoses (ADHD, Mild Autism, HPPD, and sleep disorder). I also have cognitive impairment, neurological pain, chronic dizzyness, chronic fatigue, DP/DR, feeling high and out of touch with my surroundings and myself. With all this comes numerous psychological problems as well.

I´ll be 29 next year and my doctors will surely put me on early retirement (29 being the earliest age to be retired by medical causes).

But I still try to enjoy life and cherish the good moments. Being with my girlfriend, friends, having some beers on occasions, slow walks in the woods, relaxing gaming sessions etc. I don´t get much money on my pension but I´ve cut my living costs much, so I can save some money and go traveling sometimes. The horrible weather in Sweden can make even the healthiest person suicidal, so occasional breaks are needed.. ;)

Anyway I try to not think about what is to come, only having plans a short while into the future. This helps my mental state a lot.

My HPPD started 6½ years ago and have not decreased ever since, so I know my chances of a recovery are almost zero. Anyway, I´m used to it by now, it has become my "normal" :wacko: vision.

I do hope to get some alleviation from the rest of the problems, so I can get a bit more functional at least (having high hopes for Keppra!).