Could low levels of dopamine be at part to blame?

JChris

A few weeks ago I was just put on Adderall which is an ADD medication, which the active ingredient is dextro amphetamine, yes amphetamine. Ive notcied that since taking it, how much my anxiety has been deminished, and overall dp/dr symptoms deminish to where I can for the most part forget that Ive even have any problems. Ive started to feel enjoyment and excitment for activities I do as opposed to feeling pretty numb in times of bad, but especially good, when I know I should be feeling good but am unable to reach the reward of feeling euphoria. Alas when the drug starts to wear off, I get that same old feeling Ive had slowly return. While everythings smooth sailing while Im on it, it doesnt feel like i did pre dp/dr 100%, but it still feels like im going in the right direction of how I used to feel before this hell was brought upon me.

I wonder since amphetamine works quite strongly on your dopamine receptors in your brain would it be quite feasible to say that in part that people who suffer from dp/dr might have abnormally low levels of dopamine being released in their brains as opposed to a healthy person who has no symptoms of dp/dr?

• Upvote 2

Visual--You can always try RLS drugs---Mirapex, Requip, etc. Or ADD drugs---methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, etc.). The dopamine is eventually going to be used for Norepinephrine. So in that case you could look at Wellbutrin. ........Or you could just say f-it and snort some cocaine.....lol j/k ......I find that Norepinephrine is more important than you think. Aside from metabolic recycling of Dopamine, pigmented nuclei production feedback can actually override hypothalamic CRH production. Something to look at could be NGF at the dentate gyrus of the hippocampus. .......

Or dopamine route is the l-dopa/Sinemet route

I take 18 mg Concerta.

How is Sinemet??

I have never heard of Sinemet before, hows it working out for you?? I take 20 mg's split into 2 doses of 10 mg's 2 per day, once when i wake up, and the second after lunch.

Sinement is levodopa (with carbadopa to make it work better). Not to be dramatic but it has been a life saver.

Visual--You can always try RLS drugs---Mirapex, Requip, etc. Or ADD drugs---methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, etc.). The dopamine is eventually going to be used for Norepinephrine. So in that case you could look at Wellbutrin. ........Or you could just say f-it and snort some cocaine.....lol j/k ......I find that Norepinephrine is more important than you think. Aside from metabolic recycling of Dopamine, pigmented nuclei production feedback can actually override hypothalamic CRH production. Something to look at could be NGF at the dentate gyrus of the hippocampus. .......

Or dopamine route is the l-dopa/Sinemet route

I take 18 mg Concerta.

How is Sinemet??

Yes, have tried Requip and Wellbutrin. Both are helpful. However, Sinemet has been most helpful with nearly no side effects.

Snort Cocaine could be interesting. Low doses of LSD as well can be used. But until it is regulated and available in weak, predictive, non-hallucinating doses ... best not ...

Norepinephrine is important, but not for many dopamine disorders (Parkinson's, Schizophrenia, Torettes).

Compared to actual agonists, Sinemet is gentle, strong (sound like a laxative commercial), and affects to whole dopamine system evenly. I liked Selegeline but the doc moved and noone else would prescribe it (most docs are paranoid about MAOIs even though Selegeline is MAO-B and doesn't have the food risk). It was quite weak however. Haven't tried Concerta (Ritalin) or Adderal.

For me, cortisol isn't a problem.

Lisuride isn't available in the US. Intersting that is also reduces some serotonin type (antagonist)

Because it primarily targets inverse dopamine receptors (like Requip, ...), suspect it won't be as 'smooth' or even as levodopa.

Have wanted to try purely D2 family meds and then purely D1 family meds to see the difference ... if one type of receptor is more damaged than the other - but doctors can be fickle to work with getting this stuff.

However at this time my strongest leaning is toward Dr A's COMT theory.

See post #93 in http://hppdonline.com/index.php?/topic/302-medication-trial-dr-abraham/ This is all I have about his theory.

Here is the basic metabolic relationship [ Note: Remember that epinephrine IS adrenalin and norepinephrine IS noradrenalin. And these chemical conversions occure outside the brain as well for "non-neurotransmitter" reasons ... principally the adrenal glands. In some cases, hormones also act as neuro transmitters and visa versa ]

264px-Catecholamines_biosynthesis.svg.png

• 6 months later...

I wonder why some of us (the majority, in fact) don't respond to these drugs? Maybe completely burnt out dopamine receptors?

Even a line of very clean coke doesn't affect my visuals or dp/dr, for the better.

I find so frustrating the fact that we don't get the proper attention and we will probably die with this and the next generations are going to say "Imagine those poor guys from the past that had to live with this for for ever" and they are going to laugh. I think we still live in primitive times. And I'm not only talking about HPPD . Little is known about anything. I would've loved to be born in the future, this are not my times definitely.

Yeah, developing something like this has really shown me how primitive modern medicine is.  I always held a doctor visit in my pocket as a last resort in case I couldn't figure it out myself.  After I hit the breaking point I went to the doctor and realized he was even more clueless than I am.  It's a very confining and scary feeling to know that you don't have any idea what's wrong with you and neither does anybody else.

• Upvote 1

Is low dopamine the main cause of DP/DR, or could it also be high dopamine?

Most people respond poorly to antipsychotic (antidopamine) meds.  But occationally someone will like low-dopamine.

Overall, it is mostly a system out of balance. And hyper ("cerebral disinhibition").  That is why most recover over time - either rebalancing or synaptic changes that restore proper function (rebalancing through plasticity).

I wonder why some of us (the majority, in fact) don't respond to these drugs? Maybe completely burnt out dopamine receptors?

Even a line of very clean coke doesn't affect my visuals or dp/dr, for the better.

Jay, if I remember correctly, you tried Sinemet with no improvement - right?  As for coke, did it affect your visuals, DP and/or DR at all?  While famous for dopamine effect, cocaine does a lot more.  My brother had done coke several times and he claimed to have no effect at all ... and has concluded he must just have naturally high mania.

Probably minority will respond.  But how many have tried it?  Are there even 1 dozen reports on this forum?  Dr A reports 1/3 response but only had 20 people try (his trial was a big punch dose)

Those I've talked to have mixed response.  Merkan and I report the best, although several others said it fixed their DR and libido and they disappeared - hopefully "happily ever after".  Then one member said Dr A's drug trial helped a lot, but Sinemet 100/10 does very little.  So, even for responders, dosage is important.

What is the actual percentage of response with Klonopin?  Anybody know?  It does virtually nothing for my visuals.

Yea, i tried Sinemet.... No joy for me. Only benzos have any real effect on my hppd (though Barbiturates help my panic attacks) .. I'd be 70% or so cured if i could stay on 2mg of Klono forever

coke doesn't affect my visual or dp/dr in any way... but i do get high from it, so it must be doing something.

like i've always said... in my opinion, hppd is not an illness... but a collection of illnesses. If that is even close to true, it makes sense that we all react wildly differently to various meds.

• 2 years later...