Bit of an idea for possible CURE. Has some weight to it.

Fawkinchit

http://www.reddit.com/r/Drugs/comments/18t2nf/hppdhallucinogen_persisting_perception_disorder/

Here is the current HPPD discussion I started on reddit. I don't know much about reddit but if the post is not constantly getting messages it will eventually die off. Please try to keep it active. Even if it dies off I will start another one and hopefully get it more attention.

What good is this information if it cannot be applied???

"Knowledge is Power" ... so they say -- of course, who are "they" ?

The realities of survival make 'curing' HPPD by professionals problematic. Even Dr A requires that you pay him and purchase the drugs for the trial. What you need is a very rich person who will fund research. Another angle is funding related research.

The most important thing is to try what you can get a hold of. It's like going to a shrink ... in the end you have to evaluate and apply counsel. With docs, you are just looking for a legal way to get meds to try.

What about Octacosanol? According to webmd it's used to treat parkinson and in Sweden you can buy a supplement containing L-tyrosine and octacosanol that stimulates the brain's production of dopamine. Not a cure ofcourse but could this affect hppd in any way?

If you want to increase dopamine just order mucana puriens / ldopa, a precursor to dopamine, works pretty well. Should make symptoms worse slightly though cause dopamine is a stimulant.

It is good to try things. "Natural" stuff is very weak and thus you aren't going to hurt yourself. Some people respond to weak things ... just a push to get the train back on track

Taking mucana puriens, L-tyrosine, etc. may help. But remember, all these increase dopamine peripherally (in your body) as well as the brain - actually only about 3% makes it to your brain. You may get negative body symptoms ... but with "Natural" stuff it will be mild and controlable.

A good example is banana peels. They have been used for years before Sinemet was discovered. And they were helpful ... just not a good as the drug.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10725161 High content of dopamine, a strong antioxidant, in Cavendish banana

http://www.examiner....t-peels-and-all

Note: if you do try bananas (or anything "Natural"), you must get organic - - - taking in pesticide and herbicide residues are NOT going to help you

Again, you try what you CAN get a hold of NOW.

med_hunter_bananas.jpg579847_362906607120544_601938942_n.jpg

Qaiphyx-I know all to well that neurogenesis occurs in the human brain, specifically, the hippocampus but I've cited a few drugs that you claim have no effect which makes it hard not to catastrophize. The only natural remedy I believe can help would be meditation so if you know of a silver bullet, please share.

• 1 month later...

I'm fairly suer now that there is no pill out currently that can reverse any of this disorder. I just had a very deep emotional coversation with my dad about my past drug addiction and why i plunged so deep into a criminal life was because I was being a little bitch and didn't want to deal with this. Now that i've come out of that fog I'd like to start helping again with the research on the site and will devote what time I have that is free to try and come up with something. I'll start to post theoretical threads again and please feel free to chime in and give me thoughts and opinions because God knows i'm not anywhere near an expert about these things Ie. neurophsiology and the likes.

Really???

Awareness for this condition is finally getting traction and science is moving at an accelerated pace and you want to throw up the white flag? Maybe that works for you and others but for some of us who have developed cormorbid conditions over the years can't want for a better day.

Hi guys,

I'm back for a bit.  For me and perhaps only me, it seems that HPPD has been a 2 year "acute" disorder.  I'm just over a year and it is very similar to my first HPPD episode.   Of course for me there are/will be lingering effects after 2 years but much more mild than the symptoms had been earlier imo.

There is one video i'd like to show that is not directly related to HPPD and i probably have already posted it but maybe not. 

People use drugs such as PCP etc. as a model for some mental illnesses.   I think that really bad HPPD with bad depression and anxiety can be similar to the feeling of having some of these illnesses.  So check this out, just  for general info:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSqMD5ajp3w

• 3 weeks later...

Wow this thread seems to have deranged and digressed from the original subject.

Regarding possible cures: NIBS (non-invasive brain stimulation) such as tDCS (transcranial direct current stimulation) look very promising.
I'm currently still accumulating research and evidence, and will be self-experimenting with tDCS shortly.
If anyone wishes to help me out, or would like 2 weeks worth of article gathering, give a shout.
I've got a lot of research regarding hallucinations, visual cortex/occipital lobe, epilepsy, visual perception, etc. etc. etc.
The rough idea is to apply cathodal stimulation to the visual cortex (lowering hyperexcitability), and anodal stimulation to the prefrontal cortex (raising PPI, which seemed to be the main goal for Dr. A's recent study). However, there are many regions of the brain that could be involved with HPPD, so it might not suffice. Nonetheless the ability of NIBS to alter excitability of cortical areas is highly intruiging, moreover it exhibits potential for treatment. I had a thread open on it, but it was a lot of incomplete stuff so I removed my findings. That, and there seemed to be very little interest. Still working on it though, and once I have a more substantial hypothesis, I'll post a final revision online. Hopefully that will include the case report of an individual being releived of HPPD by tDCS.
Lastly, there are a plethora of speculated involved mechanisms in the pathogenesis of HPPD which haven't been explored yet for treatment targetting.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So the receptor idea has gained a bit more weight in recent research that I have been doing on estrogen, there were some studies done that mice were given topical beta estradiol, which completely inhibited their hair growth, then when administered with and estrogen antagonist(neutralizer) restarts the follicles growth what seemed to be completely. Greater showing the massive effects that receptors can have, and permanent effects until reversed, which revamps the idea that the extreme push on these receptors may be causing strong long lasting alterations in neuronal and DNA expression. It also, if accurate would be much more simple of fixing than massive allocated neuronal apoptosis.