What happened to all the members

• 4 weeks later...

I thought by this time many of the members who were on the old long standing site would find that the site is back. Albeit without all the content. Though not many have joined or even visited. Very few posts for the time this board has been activated.

Hey Larry,

I was not the longest poster on the old site, but was on alot and did post quite a bit in the time I was on.......finally made it here. i agree - sad not to see the posts from the people who I often recognized.

I have had a hectic year for me - but found my way back here....see my post in depersonalization for my recent thoughts.

Hope you are going good!

LG

I think part of it is because this site doesnt show up if you search "HPPD" on google.. as the previous one did.. Remember that it was the first one after wikipedia that came up..

Good point. Also, Jay had sent me an email a while ago saying that he was starting a site for HPPD. This after this site came back up. I asked him if he had visited here. He did not know about this site. He said that the link he had saved did not bring him here. That is a little confusing to me because it is the same name as before.

So also, people may not be typing in this address anymore for some unknown reason. If they were long time members, would you think they would just check the URL instead of looking at Google?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello! I'm from the old board here. Really disappointed to see the old board go and all the data that was on it. There was a wealth of information acquired on that board and to see that it all went poof is quite a loss.

The reason I think this board is doing so badly is that it is not in google search. If you google 'HPPD' hppdonline.com doesn't pop up on the first page, if at all. The only way I found this was by going to the HPPD page on wikipidia and going to related links.

Also the original forum had a link to it on hppd.stormloader.com/ which is one of the first links on google and that link is now broken. If anyone knows of a way to get this webpage on the first page on google search we should.

Hi Larry,

Good to see you and many others found your way here. Though I haven't been particularly active on the site as of late if you (or anyone at all) needs someone to talk to I am always available at sagahppd at gmail dot com.

Also, I'll do my best to be more active here as well.

I am! I'm actually about to sign up for another Century in June so I better get my training schedule back in action soon. It's been a long cold winter. So happy the weather is finally warming up, as always the best cure for me is a healthy diet and a lot of exercise. :)

That's great Saga, nothing like getting your endorphins going and exercising the anxiety demons away. I shot baskeball for hrs. last night and not only did I completely foget about hppd while playing, I also benifited by being able to relax like I used to after all the cardio.

I used to lift free weights for years and that def helps, but nothing like breaking a sweat while stretching all your mucsles out doing cardio!

I love your approach to hppd Saga, it's by far the closest thing to a cure, Take care ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This site kinda felt like a hangover to some people B)

they'll come around.

i decided to come back for awhile and observe, done with banging my head against others tho hehe.. ive mellowed out the last couple years more and more, most of my attack were prolly due to my own insecuritys of seemingly having an intense form of hppd.. who knows :lol:

i dont remember much of the last decade hehe

its good to see old avatars. Yea part of why I haven't posted much is because of the change and the lack of old familiar posters. may anyone who feels this dream and fall away from the self stigma associated from it. out of sight out of mind may not be true but out of thought out of mind helps. I MISS FREEDOM! I miss the old board. distract yourself from your symptoms however you can. It isn't exactly a healthy way to deal with something but I have seen worse ways to deal with things. have a great day all.

• 3 weeks later...

ive not been here for a while. Partly ive not had much new to add (basic advice from me: take acetyl cysteine and alpha lipoic acid, take regular aerobic exercise, stop eating carbohydrate or if you do take high doses of vitamin d). Partly i lost the habit of going on the forum when it was down. Partly i've been sulking - I felt the old board was a cumulative process of knowledge building so to have all that collaborative work deleted without warning or any effort to retain the knowledge therein, or even just giving us the opportunity to copy and paste some bits, felt like an insult. I spent a fair bit of thought, time and effort on some posts in the belief that it was adding to a permanent information base, which i obviously wasnt.

distract yourself from your symptoms however you can. It isn't exactly a healthy way to deal with something but I have seen worse ways to deal with things. have a great day all.

Am new to this forum but have spent time at another doing as you said. It lifts my spirits (others have noticed it as well).

Partly i've been sulking - I felt the old board was a cumulative process of knowledge building so to have all that collaborative work deleted without warning or any effort to retain the knowledge therein, or even just giving us the opportunity to copy and paste some bits, felt like an insult. I spent a fair bit of thought, time and effort on some posts in the belief that it was adding to a permanent information base, which i obviously wasnt.

Perhaps the server for the old board had a major crash-n-burn, and there wasn’t any backup. (Surprised that there is NO backup – even a 1 or 2 year old copy would be useful)

So this is a new start. And hopefully efforts will be put in place (at least monthly backups?) to prevent catastrophic loss. Comments from Administrators would be welcome here.

I very much wish to hear people stories. What they have tried and how it affected them … how they cope … are the able to hold a job … where are they now with it … any progress made. Am also excited to share what has helped me.

A collection for permanent reference IS valuable. It is understandable to not wish to pour ones heart and soul into the project again. Also, a virtually empty forum doesn’t inspire energy. But perhaps just a summary, as each member feels so inclined, would help get things going again.

Although there is not established treatment protocol for HPPD, there are things that can help people. IMO, HPPD is symptomology of a mild brain injury. The treatments for such injuries are quite varied. Anti-seizure meds are common. Benzodiazepines (which many ARE anti-seizure meds) are common. ‘Physical’ therapies (rehabilitation) can be employed. In some cases, dopamine agonists are used successfully. In others, dopamine antagonists (anti-psychotics) have helped.

Unless there is input, the forum will lose its purpose – to be a source of help other people.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't miss the old board much. I don't think it was a database of knowledge as much as it was a database of opinions. And well, opinions can change with time. Many of my opinions about hppd have evolved, so having a new board is kind of refreshing.

I actually agree with you on this Gill. I believe there is much more potential at this board the the previous.

I don't miss the old board much. I don't think it was a database of knowledge as much as it was a database of opinions. And well, opinions can change with time. Many of my opinions about hppd have evolved, so having a new board is kind of refreshing.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still around from time to time, still have the HPPD though dealing far better than I used to most of the time but not ALL of the time. I went by my real name previously.

That said, I was kind of relieved when the old board went but only as a result of the consequence of my own naivety. I put too much personal information on the old forum detailing a lot of personal experience. I really felt a connection with the members, and it was a virtual space in which for some time, I existed daily.

However, I had a person outside the community a few years later find out all kinds of knowledge about me that I'd never disclosed on the job, only on the old message boards. Maybe consider it a forewarning for some younger people on here? I'm sure most on here are more savvy than I was back then so...

Anyway, now that a few of the old members may (or may not!) remember me, it's good to see you guys posting. I think that '98 is correct. People do just get wrapped up in their lives which hopefully is a good thing.

(Edited for having written this with a severe viral infection. I re-read and it made no sense).