Major flare up due to topical steroid

Merkan

I took Betamethasone for two hours ago. Just a couple of drops in my ears due to ear infection. Now everything is back, from being symptom free to afterimages up to 30 seconds. Waves of panic attacks, sweating etc.

I am so frightened that this is something permanent, some say they got permanently worse due to anesthesia and anti biotics.

Cannot believe those drops did this. Anyone with knowledge or experience with this, would be nice to hear what you have to say.

Used to be the rational one but if this is for the long run, man i am not sure i can take another set back when i was living a great life.

Not sure if anyone has an answer to this but i am having a major crisis so i am throwing it out there.

iam one of these guys whose HPPD has a flare up after taking antibiotics.

i would say stop the drops and dont take them anymore.

maybe its "only" your anxiety of making things worse because of medication which is giving you this flare up.

try to stay calm people of the yuku forum had a transistent flare up because of some meds which always went after stoping them.

I truly hope you are right. Worst anxiety has passed but this thing just reminded me what we are dealing with. Even if I recover, which is the most importan thing, i hope i can continue scuba diving. Probably need to spend a lot of money on special gear to make my ears dry from now on. But still scared that this is permanent, i'd skip the scuba in a hearbeat if it meant for sure that i'll be ok.

iam one of these guys whose HPPD has a flare up after taking antibiotics.

i would say stop the drops and dont take them anymore.

maybe its "only" your anxiety of making things worse because of medication which is giving you this flare up.

try to stay calm people of the yuku forum had a transistent flare up because of some meds which always went after stoping them.

Merkan!

My swedish grandmother taught me a simple way to get rid of ear infection, you will need:

A ladys sock

1 Yellow onion

Step one, peel the onion and cut it in half.

Step two, put both halves on your ears

Step three, put the sock on your head so it covers the onion halves and keeps them in place. And shazam, you will get healthy in hours, if you don't then i'll tell my grandma it didn't work. Although it works for me everytime and i had ear infections a LOT when i was a kid! B)

Hang in there Merkan, hopefully it'll just pass over. I blame antibiotics to some extent for my hppd. Cipro imparticular, the stuff is toxic, just read up on it.

Anyways, you seem sensitive to meds- in that they tend to effect you dramatically. Positively with Keppra and sinemet and negatively with others. I'd discontinue and just give it some time man. Keep us updated

Feel better this morning. After images has faded but still there and still a bit worried. Either way this is a reminder that i am definititely not progressing with healing my symptoms. It feels like i had the worst backlash yesterday but i need a week to see this threw.

Either way, kinda bummer that this happened now. I was going strong in my life and HPPD wasn't something i identified with. If i get back to where i was, it'll take a couple of months. Atleast thats my experience from previous backlashes. But for now i can only entertain myself with the massive trails shooting out of my hands like crazy.

that sucks man, I feel for ya. My original HPPD was onset while I was taking doxyciclin, an antibiotic for lymes disease. I shouldn't have taken the LSD while on this medication and sometimes I wonder if the antibiotic was part of the cause of my HPPD. I'm sure it'll clear up in time, especially if it has before.

What has caused your previous backlashes?

But for now i can only entertain myself with the massive trails shooting out of my hands like crazy.

bahaha I've been there but my trails aren't that bad.

just got a chest infection and the doctor gave me some anti biotics and some steroids

amoxicillin antibiotics

prednisolone steroids

very nervous about taking these after reading this topic.also a salbutamol inhaler

anyone on here tried any of these .could do with feedback on this soon plz cant breath very well cheers

dont want to scare you but i took amoxycillin while my flare up last year. but i cant say for sure they were the cause. i also smoked weed and drunk alc and had alot of stress while this time.

but what to do there a times were you have to take antibiotics or youre gonna die in worst case....

its not possible to never take those meds again until there are new meds

Merkan,

Perhaps you need to experiment with your Sinemet dose. Normally I'd say increase, however, perhaps decrease for a while.

Please note: Steroidal anti inflammatory drug betamethasone significantly alters level of striatal dopamine in a rat model of Parkinson’s disease:

"Many scientific efforts have been well done to investigate the effects of anti inflammatory agents on the degenerative brain diseases such as Parkinson’s (PD) or Alzheimer’s disease and their affiliated sings. Previously we showed the effectiveness of steroids on rigidity of PD and in the study for further mechanistic investigation of that observation the microdialysis technique was employed to determine the striatal dopamine changes in parkinsonian rats after administration of betamethasone (0.12, 0.24 mg/kg) respectively. Our findings showed us the significant increase in the striatal dopaminergic neurotransmission (P<0.05) after administration of betamethasone comparing to the controls. These observations suggest a new mechanism for betamethasone on striatum dopaminergic neurotransmission leading us to gather further evidence about effectiveness of betamethasone in PD."

http://precedings.na.../2330/version/1

I know you don't what to reduce Sinemet, but since Betamethasone messes with dopamine (temp increase) then you need to consider this. Perhaps you can regain equilibrium more quickly.

Also note,

"These researches showed the significant increase in dopaminergic or decrease in gamma amino butyric acid (GABA)ergic-glutamatergic neurotransmissions after only selective COX-2 inhibition, coincidently the PD affiliated disorders significantly improved"

http://precedings.na...e20082330-1.pdf [ if link doesn't work, follow PDF link in above link ]

Increasing your Klonopin for a while would be another aproach to consider - perhaps a better first step.

How would you describe normal hppd and severe hppd?

When i say normal i mean what is normal to me compared with the severe symptoms i got three years ago. Going from being able to live with HPPD without using meds and holding a part time job but still very depressed about my situation, to being hospitalized just sitting the day out waiting for the staff to give me ambien at night to get relief (shut down the brain)

Merkan,

Perhaps you need to experiment with your Sinemet dose. Normally I'd say increase, however, perhaps decrease for a while.

Please note: Steroidal anti inflammatory drug betamethasone significantly alters level of striatal dopamine in a rat model of Parkinson’s disease:

"Many scientific efforts have been well done to investigate the effects of anti inflammatory agents on the degenerative brain diseases such as Parkinson’s (PD) or Alzheimer’s disease and their affiliated sings. Previously we showed the effectiveness of steroids on rigidity of PD and in the study for further mechanistic investigation of that observation the microdialysis technique was employed to determine the striatal dopamine changes in parkinsonian rats after administration of betamethasone (0.12, 0.24 mg/kg) respectively. Our findings showed us the significant increase in the striatal dopaminergic neurotransmission (P<0.05) after administration of betamethasone comparing to the controls. These observations suggest a new mechanism for betamethasone on striatum dopaminergic neurotransmission leading us to gather further evidence about effectiveness of betamethasone in PD."

http://precedings.na.../2330/version/1

I know you don't what to reduce Sinemet, but since Betamethasone messes with dopamine (temp increase) then you need to consider this. Perhaps you can regain equilibrium more quickly.

Also note,

"These researches showed the significant increase in dopaminergic or decrease in gamma amino butyric acid (GABA)ergic-glutamatergic neurotransmissions after only selective COX-2 inhibition, coincidently the PD affiliated disorders significantly improved"

http://precedings.na...e20082330-1.pdf [ if link doesn't work, follow PDF link in above link ]

Increasing your Klonopin for a while would be another aproach to consider - perhaps a better first step.

Thanks Visual for the info. I hope this will work out, i'll come back with info on how things are on monday.

Everything that isn't processed. Real butter and oliveoil for cooking. I stick to those.

I eat about 2 lbs of butter a week. Used to eat 3-5 lbs of cheese before it got $$$. About a gallon a day of milk a day. Never got fat from it.

Use olive oil as well. Once you get used to it, its great. Now, can't stand to eat out unless it is a really good resturant with real chefs. 'Normal' food makes me feel poorly. It is a real pain in the rear ... but in the end it is great to enjoy real food.

Did my lasts dives at this course during the weekend with ear protections. Though i am thrilled that it looks like its going to be ok, i do feel a it sad that i really could not enjoy the diving. But there will be more of that, spoke with some others that has swimmers ear and do not use topical steroids or anti biotics but other methods, or just waiting for it to pass.