hope1

AGGRESIVE ADVOCACY

123 posts in this topic

My neuropsychiatrist worked with this other NP and when he died, NYS opened a research facility here in NY. I have sent them a email, here it is:

Dear NKI:

I am a representative of HPPDonline.com. Currently, there is a grant of $100,000 available that has been issued by the HPPD Foundation.

It would be very much appreciated if any members of your institute would consider this disorder, as a phenomenon that further should be researched.

With the growing emergence of drugs such as the 2CX, DOX, and Khat-derivative drug subclasses, as well as better known hallucinogens, such as LSD,

I feel that it is necessary to find a new, definitive, and/or viable forms of pharmaceutical treatment for this disorder, HPPD.

I ask you to review the information available regarding the growing community of HPPD patients, and consider this grant which, in years past, had been

issued to Harvard University's MacLean Hospital.

Thank You,

M. Grade

*Hppdonline.com Representative

Hey, the Heffter Research Institute below may be a a good place to contact!

"I can't tell you all the things I do but let me just quickly give you an overview of what a hard scientist so-to-speak does, a reductionist scientist.

I look at how psychedelics affect brain chemistry. We make molecules. We make modified LSD analogues, we have a computer model of the serotonin receptor that's in the brain that we think is a target of these, computer generated that we discovered. We simulate the docking of these molecules to the receptor. We try to understand what are the amino acids in the receptor that interact with the different parts of the molecule. Then we look further in, we say when the molecule docks to the receptor, changes occur in the intercellular biochemistry. We look at the changes, how do those occur. My son who is a PhD in molecular biology doing neuropharmacology work at Vanderbilt has then looked even further and said what does LSD do to genetic regulation. He uses micro-array analysis to look at the gene expression changes following LSD in rats, and has seen changes in expression of 80 different genes. And then we have rat behavior where the rats tell us, "I think you gave me LSD" or "I don't think you gave me LSD." So we start from the design of the molecule, using computers, we synthesize the molecules, we then dock them in the receptor. We're mutating the receptor to change the amino acids so we can see how the complementary amino acids in the receptor modify the interaction with the drug. Then we look at the signaling in the receptor, what signaling pathways are turned on. And then ultimately to genetic regulation, where do protein expression changes occur.

We're looking at all the basic science -- preclinical stuff. I didn't have an MD degree so I couldn't do clinical research. This was sort of disturbing to me, but to get around it I founded the Heffter Research Institute, and they're doing all the clinical work. We're studying psilocybin -- in Zürich we have a clinical facility over there, with Franz Vollenweider. Most people know about the University of Arizona psilocybin study in OCD. Most people know about Charlie Grob's psilocybin study in terminal patients at UCLA. Those are all projects funded by the Heffter Institute.

So, we've translated everything from the basic science on into the clinical. I don't know if we can do a whole lot more. I'm doing as much as I can. We're not doing research with LSD, but I believe within a framework of 5 to 10 years, if we continue on and are successful with our psilocybin research, it will be possible to get protocols approved in the United States. We might start in Europe first but I think it will be possible to reinitiate clinical studies with LSD."

Source:

MindStates IV LSD Panel:

Hypothesis on Albert Hofmann's Famous 1943 "Bicycle Day"

with brief overview of current research

by David Nichols

May 24, 2003

Transcription & Editing by Erowid.

Adapted from transcript of presentation given at Mindstates IV, Berkeley, CA

Citation: Nichols, David. "Hypothesis on Albert Hofmann's Famous 1943 'Bicycle Day'" Adapted from a presentation given at Mindstates IV. http://www.erowid.org/general/conferences/conference_mindstates4_nichols.shtml. May 24 2002.

http://www.erowid.org/general/conferences/conference_mindstates4_nichols.shtml

http://www.heffter.org/

"OUR MISSION

The Heffter Research Institute promotes research of the highest scientific quality with the classical hallucinogens and related compounds (sometimes called psychedelics) in order to contribute to a greater understanding of the mind, leading to the improvement of the human condition, and the alleviation of suffering."

http://www.heffter.org/support.htm

Amazing work and I'm glad to see some momentum building. I read up On the hefftner research institute but I'm not one to know if it's good/bad legit or not. Looks good though but David ought to know what the deal is as this should be explored.

PLEASE KEEP IT UP!!!

THE MORE RESEARCHERS WE CONTACT, THE MORE MESSAGES THEY RECIEVE AND THE MORE ATTENTION DRAWN TO THIS DISORDER THE BETTER. YOU MUST EMAIL THE HEAD OF A NEUROSCIENCE DEPARTMENT DOWN TO HIS/HER SECRETARY AND COPY EVERYONE ELSE IN BETWEEN; PHDs, PHD STUDENTS, UNDERGRAD RESEARCHERS, LAB ASSISTANTS, TECHNICIANS; BASICALLY EVERYONE CONNECTED TO THE FIELD.

THIS HAS TO WORK BECAUSE NOBODY HAS DONE THIS BEFORE!

Good Luck

Here is my draft. What do you think? Please make suggestions or fixes if you think any are necessary.

Hello, my name is XXX. I am an 18 year old student. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this letter. I would like to draw your attention to a mysterious and often ignored medical condition that effects thousands of people worldwide and has destroyed many lives.

Hallucinogen Persisting Perceptual Disorder is poorly understood by the medical community despite the efforts of researchers like Harvard psychiatrist Dr. Henry Abraham and John Halpern of the Harvard McLean Institute to unravel the enigma. The disorder is characterized by continued sensory or mental disturbances in the patient that are reminiscent of the effects of hallucinogenic substances. The disorder is often ignored due to its connection with illegal drug use, but many sufferers either took the substance that led to HPPD inadvertently or even developed HPPD-like symptoms due to exposure to toxic chemicals being used for industrial purposes. Discovering the cause of HPPD could also contribute to breakthroughs in research of other mysterious conditions like Persistent Migraine Aura or Visual Snow.

Symptoms such as visual snow, palinopsia, open or closed eye pseudo-hallucinations, derealization, sleep disorders, anxiety, and depression are common among HPPD sufferers although other symptoms are reported as well. HPPD can improve in time but full recoveries are rare and many patients suffer unbearably for years with no known effective treatments currently available to them.

The HPPD foundation (http://hppdfoundation.com/index.html) has offered a $100,000 annual grant for research of this terrifying disease but the grant has not been applied for since 2010 when it was awarded to Dr. John Halpern. Many research articles dealing with HPPD or the effects of hallucinogens are available at http://hppdonline.com/ but the best way to find out about this disorder may be through use of the forum section at http://hppdonline.com/index.php?/forum/3-main-forums/.

I have contacted you because I believe that you may be in a position to alleviate the suffering of myself and many others around the globe who are unsure if they will ever be able to fulfill the ambitions they possessed prior to being afflicted by this horrible disorder. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Any help you can provide to those suffering with this disease, through research or other means, will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Feel free to contact me at XXX for more information.

Sincerely,

XXX

Has anyone gotten any positive feedback from their emails? (i haven;t gotten a response yet)

I've made a few changes to my letter. I plan on sending it tomoro so please give any feedback you have to it as soon as posible. Here it is:

Hello, my name is XXX I am an 18 year old student. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this letter. I would like to draw your attention to a mysterious and often ignored medical condition that effects thousands of people worldwide and has destroyed many lives.

Hallucinogen Persisting Perceptual Disorder is poorly understood by the medical community despite the efforts of researchers like Harvard psychiatrist Dr. Henry Abraham and John Halpern of the Harvard McLean Institute to unravel the enigma. This disorder is characterized by continued sensory or mental disturbances in the patient that are reminiscent of the effects of hallucinogenic substances. The disorder is often ignored by the medical community due to its connection with illegal drug use, but many sufferers either took the substance that led to HPPD inadvertently or even developed HPPD-like symptoms due to exposure to toxic chemicals being used for industrial purposes. Discovering the cause of HPPD could also contribute to breakthroughs in research of other mysterious conditions like Persistent Migraine Aura or Visual Snow as well as further our understanding of neurotransmitters and the brain in general.

Symptoms such as visual snow, palinopsia, open or closed eye pseudo-hallucinations, derealization, sleep disorders, anxiety, and depression are common among HPPD sufferers although other symptoms are reported as well. HPPD can improve in time but full recoveries are rare and many patients suffer unbearably for years with no known effective treatments currently available to them.

The HPPD foundation (http://hppdfoundation.com/index.html) has offered a $100,000 annual grant for research of this terrifying disease but the grant has not been applied for since 2010 when it was awarded to Dr. John Halpern. Many research articles dealing with HPPD or the effects of hallucinogens are available at http://hppdonline.com/ but the best way to find out about this disorder may be through use of the forum section at http://hppdonline.com/index.php?/forum/3-main-forums/ because many of the research articles contain information that conflicts with either other articles or conclusions made by those afflicted based on apparent similarities with what they and others have personally experieced.

I have contacted you because I believe that you may be in a position to alleviate the suffering of myself and many others around the globe who are unsure if they will ever be able to fulfill the ambitions they possessed prior to being afflicted by this horrible disorder. If you are unable to further research HPPD then please lead me to someone who can. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Any help you can provide to those suffering with this disease, through research or by other means, will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Feel free to contact me at XXX for more information or with suggestions of others that I should try to contact. I would be happy to answer any of your questions.

Sincerely,

XXX

I fucking hate Yahoo mail! I copy and pasted most of the e-mail addresses you gave me plus 90 adresses from PHDs from the Brain Research Centre 1 at a time and now yahoo tells me I cant send it to all of them at once and I have to do it all over again. I'm getting it sent anyways though, its just gonna take twice as long.

I also found out, the hard way, that emailing an entire department in a neuroscience department at a university has the same result. Maybe cc ten researchers but 50 or more and in all likelihood the message will bounce back.

I just got a reply:

"The brain is your most precious organ. You need to have every neuron in your system working to its optimal capacity. It has always mystified me as to why anybody would be so foolish as to monkey with the biochemistry of their own brain."

Thats all he wrote. Very Helpful.

I am going to reply. Under what thread did visual post his story cause I would like to use that as an example.

In hindsight, he's correct. But I know for me, the answer to his question would be pure and utter ignorance. I had no idea the capacity of potential consequences. And here I am, 6 years later, all to aware how a bad decision can change your life significantly. It seems rare that one decision can dictate the future of your life so drastically.I would like to assume most people's poor decision is fortunately overlooked or has limited consequences. Not ours, so we spend our future mileage trying to earn back what we unknowingly sacrificed.It is humbling; it is unfortunate but tis' life. In the end though, i have realized we're fortunate because it could much worse.

Visual's case is quite unique indeed and we should likely include stories from our extended family on the VS board.

I replied with this:

I appreciate that you took the time to respond to me Dr. McGeer. I can understand your viewpoint, I hope that you will consider mine. I cannot speak for others but I can tell you why I decided to take a hallucinogen. I knew that “tripping” was an incredibly unique experience that could temporarily alter one’s perception radically. I believed, and still do, that one should try to view life from as many perspectives as possible in order to achieve the maximum growth both spiritually and intellectually. I was aware of the risk of permanent damage with LSD and decided that it was not worth it, but most reputable sources list anxiety as the only long-term negative effect of psilocybin mushrooms. I didn’t eat mushrooms for fun, I ate them to learn. My first and only experience with psilocybin mushrooms was somewhat terrifying, but it was an interesting experience that taught me a lot. That one time was all it took to give me HPPD. I obviously regret this action now but looking only at the information provided to me at the time I cannot say that my decision was wrong.

However I did not write to you to benefit myself, I am one of the lucky few that has recovered quickly from most of their symptoms. I may never be able to see well in the dark again and may occasionally wake up to see the Grim Reaper in my room, but I can live with that. I wrote to you because I remember how it felt when I was at my worst, when I had to leave school during the day to wipe snow on my face just so I could feel something, when I couldn’t get through a night without waking up petrified with fear and dripping of sweat several times, when everything I looked at was covered in thick static, when no matter what was happening around me I couldn’t feel any joy. I wrote to you because I know that there are many other people out there still suffering worse than I ever did.

Ferret-----forget that putz------the reason why i got HPPD was somebody put something in my food----and i am sure a lot of women (and men) have had their drinks laced, no doubt. If this guy wants to spout-off, perhaps he is one who truly does NOT understand the susceptibility of the human nervous system. God-forbid though, if one of his colleges plays a trick on him, w/ 150mg DOB, he may have some new insight into and interest in the relation and treatment of our disorders.

I was going to bring up how there were many people like you who were druged, or even some like visual who got it without ever touching drugs but I got caught up in the reply and forgot. It will be interesting to see if he replies.

What a cold hearted, insensitive bastard.

Let's hope his kIds never make irrational and reckless decisions...

sorry i didn't mean to get so angry. He's a professor and a researcher right; ...a couple of mistakes or wrong turns, and he'd be putting together grills at Walmart. .......Don't worry in a couple of years he'll be completely demented, wearing a helmet and diapers, drooling in some adult home. LOL sorry that was mean

sorry i didn't mean to get so angry. He's a professor and a researcher right; ...a couple of mistakes or wrong turns, and he'd be putting together grills at Walmart. .......Don't worry in a couple of years he'll be completely demented, wearing a helmet and diapers, drooling in some adult home. LOL sorry that was mean

Exactly, cunt, he wouldnt be saying that if his kid was like us. The stuff that gave me hppd was 100% legal and sold online on party sites that sold childrens balloons n shit, they coulda easily bought the stuff and been like me " a fucked up junkie mess "

Progress!!!

I recieved another response:

"Thank you for your email. I have passed it on to Dr Susan Schenk for Victoria University in Wellington who does research in this general area. She tells me she knows John Halpern and will think about possible research.

Best wishes"

I'm so excited about that last response right now. I expect to get a lot of responses tomorro since it will be monday.

I just found out that James Holmes, the "Batman Killer", received 1 of only a handful of grants from the NIH (National Institute of Health): this grant: to study Neuroscience. There was also an old video found where he was discussing Temporal Illusions (i guess this is the grey area between reality and fantasy/delusion/illusion). This guy seems smart, but there appears to be little reason for such a bright light to massacre a theatre. If you guys know anything about me, you know that i don't always trust people. And while I don't chase flying saucers or push aside the immediate and obvious information that is given to me, the Colorado incident seems fishy to me, or doesn't feel right. My reaction is to feel that this is concocted by the FBI/CIA/ATF/DEA/Washington, big business (oil, drug companies, etc.) including illegal drugs. To keep more of the same and maintain the interests of the powerful people who hold the money. In the wake of the uncovering of Operation Fast and Furious (which supplied the Sinaloa Drug Cartel with guns to fight off the Zetas), just makes me think, considering the upcoming election. I suppose everything I am saying could be possible, maybe not probable, but possible. And for certain, our world has experience with propaganda. I'll write more in a bit if you are interested. Kinda off topic but oh well.